Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Brand New Heavies...

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by DLM, Dec 2, 2004.

1. DLM

DLM

May 25, 2004
    California
    Recently, I broke out one of their albums and was reminded how groovy their bass player is (or was...are they still around?). Not too flashy, but solid, in-the-pocket playing.

What can you tell me about this guy in terms of background, gear, "where are they now", etc?

2. Andrew Levy is an amazing player! His playing is so tasteful and funky. Last I saw, he was playing various Warwicks and a couple of Stingrays. I'm not sure if they're still making records. I've got their greatest hits album, Trunk Funk Classics, permanently in the CD changer at home.

3. Can't tell you anything about the bassist BUT they are certainly still around. They are using yet another female lead vocalist called Nicole Russo.

Latest release is an album called "All About The Funk".

Regards.

4. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
  5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yup there are posters up all around London for this - I was tempted ...but haven't heard much about it?

[​IMG]

6. Nor me.

Anyone else heard it yet?

7. Their website has some full length sound samples on:

http://www.thebrandnewheavies.net/

I have the new album and as far as being a funky, groovy type of record it's certainly that - it's a little West Coast R&B influenced but I think it sounds pretty hip - but I'd sooner recommend you listen to Reggie Watts for a truly modern / retro soul funk album (his record is called 'Simplified' BTW).

8. Interesting sound samples.

I have to admit to being more of an Incognito man myself.

9. Bruce Lindfield

Yeah - I've been buying up the latter's back catalogue and now I hear the BNHs as "Incognito Lite" !! ;)

10. I hadn't thought of it that way before but you definitely have a point.

I still think the 1996 live Incognito album is one of, if not THE, best and most inspiring live recordings I have ever heard. :hyper:

11. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile

:smug: right there with ya. I love both though. I've got all the BNH stuff sans the new one (Like what I've heard, just haven't grabbed it yet). I will always have a soft spot for the Heavies... they were my "gateway" to the style.

12. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I dunno...I ain't diggin' this new one as much as some of the older ones.

13. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I still don't have any of Incognito's albums.

I do recall buying BNH's Brother Sister after I read a review in Bass Player a few years back. I immediately liked them as listened on the drive home. To me, they were "Retro-'70s Soul/R&B/Funk"...I was surprised they fell under the Acid-Jazz umbrella. To me, something like The Screaming Headless Torsos were Acid-Jazz.
    ...anyway, I know Bruce has lectured me on this before so I'll just drop it.
    ;)

14. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I think the only "rap' album I have in my collection is the Brand New Heavies 'Heavy Rhyme Experience'.....awesome grooves :bassist:

15. heavy rhyme is great! I love the Black Sheep one and the Pharcyde one. Great stuff...I'm going to put it on now! :bassist:

16. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I wish more rappers would use "live" bands! I'm still waiting for the Mos-Def with Doug Winbish. At least ten years ago they where sampling cool P-Funk etc style basslines. Most rap now sounds anemic to me...........but I'm old ;)

17. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    If not anemic...then static.

I'm old, too; still, I would say I'm checking out stuff that I woulda dismissed with extreme prejudice back when I was in my teens & 20s.
    ;)
    Be like Miles & Coltrane! They got more & more 'out' as they aged!
    ;)

18. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I was just watching the first video again this morning.... I GOTTA get this disc this weekend! I didn't see it when I was out last. I'll most likely order it if I don't find it.

My buddy Aug (guitarist that plays with GBC) is playing in a Live Hip Hop band... he sent me a couple rough mixes of the studio stuff they are recording the other day. It's not bad, but he tells me they are more a "Live" band. Woodchuck's band is a bit punk but they are also a live rap group. It's out and around, just hard to find.

19. I love the Brand New Heavies, specially the "Brother, Sister" cd. I haven't heard Incognito, can you recommend a cd???

20. Bruce Lindfield

My favourite is "100 degrees and Rising"

[​IMG]

Which has some great tunes, funky riffs and some of the best UK Jazz players adding horn solos over the groove-based extended tunes.

Plus it has a fantastic "bass feature" tune from Julian Crampton - which may not be everybody's cup of tea, but should really appeal to BG players who like a challenge!!

It's transcribed on Incognito's website!!

http://incognito.org.uk/