1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD BRAND NEW MTD 634 w/Aguilar Pre and VTC Wenge/Walnut NO TOP

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by ElMon, Jun 29, 2014.

1. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Price:
    $4200
    Strings:
    I rolled the dice... and it just didn't work out for me this time. I had this out on a gig this evening along with my alder/braz RW Sadowsky PJ5. Realized that I just can't make this bass work on a bandstand. It's a cool and extremely unique tone, but it's too far away from what I normally get live, and what I'm known for in my little circle.

It has that modern piano-clarity in spades, and the combo of Walnut Body, Wenge Neck, and Aguilar pre make this, IMO/IME, a very 'Warwick-esque' instrument. It has a big low mid push, a musical and singing high end, especially on the C string which to me sounds more blended and full because of the 34" Scale, and the slap tone is ultra-modern and compressed. Definitely not a Marcus Miller JBass tone.

I waited 14 months for this bass, and slowly paid down the $4650 base price(UPDATE 9-16-18 Paid another $200 to have Mike T add a Vintage Tone Control to the pre) with Glenn @ Austin Bass Traders. It was very much a dream bass of mine, only the tone that is more me turns out to be something out of Roger Sadowsky's shop.

As for the particulars:

$4200 plus shipping contl US only

*Warranty card not even filled out yet. All paperwork/tools/case/etc included.

*Bass comes
    with glow-in-the-dark face dots/side dots, along with a cool mini light to activate them. They look great in a dark room. Didn't ask for this feature but was pleasantly surprised.

*Black Walnut body with NO TOP.

*All Wenge Neck with 24 Frets and
    face dots.

*34" Scale that is every bit as massive-sounding as the 35" scale MTD's I've owned/traded (7 now). Easier on my left hand wrist.

*Aguilar OP3 Preamp. Mid selector switch, and IMO the Aguilar pre imparts a thickness to the bass that is there no matter how you EQ it, something I never had with the Barts. IME/YMMV/My .02.

*Just recently got the bass back with a VTC added to the Aguilar Pre, which gives it even more tonal options. You now have a stacked tone/volume pot.

*Again, tonally speaking it's full and thick in the lowmids, has an incredibly singing hi-end and is extremely responsive to left hand variations. The slap tone is very compressed and bright. Lots of note separation.

Here's some pics:

Mike's Papers.JPG case 2.JPG case.JPG photo 1.JPG photo 2.JPG photo 3.JPG photo 4.JPG

I'll get some more pics up later, and as for trades, though I'd greatly prefer to get some of the money back I laid out, for my 'expensive lesson in GAS', I MIGHT be interested in:

*F Bass 6-Strings
    * Sadowsky NYC's
    *Alleva Coppolo

*Minty Bergantino AE410's/CN series plus cash
    *Aguilar DB750 plus cash
    *Other MTD634's in more traditional wood combos.

Otherwise I'm not interested in 35" basses. Can't make them work ergonomically.

NOTE: In previous version of this thread I showed a bubble that had formed in the finish from being placed in a stand. Mike Tobias fixed that and it looks absolutely flawless.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 16, 2014
  2. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    On Hold for the time being. Will re-open if this angle doesn't work out.

3. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Back on the block. I got this back from Mike Tobias, who fixed the bubbling in the finish and added in a VTC, or 'vintage tone control' if you don't know. Adds in another degree of awesomeness to this bass. I did some extensive tests with my two NYC Sadowsky Basses and this MTD (Sads are ash/braz rw PJ5 and Modern Fretless 5 in ash/ebony) and the MTD was just not the 'sound in my head'. Roger spoiled me in that regard. If you want an ultra-modern 6-string with a compressed tone and the ability to get more vintage tones than you'd get out of a traditional MTD Bart Pre, you might give this a try.

4. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Should add that I'm not interested in ANY trades that don't fit the guidelines I outlined.

5. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Bumpage

6. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Bump

7. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Been experimenting a lot with this bass on gigs, and am going to hang onto it a bit more. ON HOLD

8. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Ok, so here's the thing....

This is truly a phenomenal bass. Has a souped up take on what I liked about the classic era Warwick stuff: wenge snap and clarity in the low mids, heavy and compressed sound overall, but still with it's signature MTD 'thing'. The Aggie Pre with the VTC gets me pretty close to what I'm used to with my live sound. Can't quite get the thickness all over that I get with the Sadowsky's I own, but it's close.

That being said, if someone met my cash price, I'd let go of it. I also might entertain a trade plus cash, as long as it fits the following criteria:

* Plain Jane FBass BN6 plus some cash

*NYC or Metro Sadowsky 5 plus cash

*Late 80's/Early 90's Warwick thumb/streamer 5's/6's (especially 6 strings) plus cash

*Ash/Maple Ernie Ball Classic 5 plus cash

*Aguilar DB750 plus cash

*Eminence 5 String EUB

Also, nothing personal, but I prefer NOT to do any international deals, unless you're Canadian and agree to send down some of your fine beer and whiskey.

If nothing pops up that works, I'll keep searching with this one.

Some other specs people asked me about:

*It's 10.6lbs, though it only feels like 10 or less on the strap. Perfectly balanced and comfortable.

9. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Also, 34" Scale is NOT a step down for these basses. The B String feel/pitch clarity is exceptional.

10. bevan lurrito

bevan lurrito

Jan 9, 2007
    Bill Hicks just told me he wants you to keep this.

I am really liking no-top instruments lately. It brings to mind a Japanese or Nordic aesthetic.

That is a VERY nice guitar you have there.

Cheers!

SS

11. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    I just found out that Nino Valenti can make me an ash/maple 6 string, J-style soaps and a Sadowsky Pre, which is really the sound I keep chasing with 6 strings. If only Roger would just up and make my dream 6.

Adam Wright likes this.
  12. dtsamples

dtsamples Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2010
    Wilmington, DE
    If only I could! Beautiful bass!

13. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    And TRADED!!!!

14. ElMon