1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Brand new or Pre-Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by s_u_y_*, Dec 13, 2006.

1. Hey there... I've been in love with Stingrays for while now, but I've come into some extra money which means I can add a Stingray to my collection. I can just about strech to an pre-Ernie Ball stringray, but I want to know if in your opinions it is worth it.

Also, would a pre-Ernie Ball stringray be a good investment as well?

Thanks for any replies in advance. :)

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    If you want a player, get a new Stingray. if you want a collectible, go Pre-Ernie Ball.

3. atrapp

atrapp

Dec 4, 2006
    Portland, OR
    New.

4. I just recently got two new (well, 05 model) MM Stingrays, the newer HH models (3 band EQ one fretless one fretted).

And all i have to say is, damn! these are amazing!

If you can stretch a little further its worth looking at the HH models!

5. Rano Bass

Rano Bass

Sep 9, 2006
    Tijuana Mex.
    The new ones are nicer to the touch, with contoured bodies and improved trussrod sistem, plus the new two pickup models are more versatile than any other Stingray in history.
    If i had the money i would buy both, but since i had to choose i bought a new one.

6. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I have both preEB and EB. But I have to say, the neck profiles are more comfortable on the preEB models (rounder fretboard edges), I also prefer the gloss necks vs raw feeling one. And I prefer the darker sound of the old 2eq vs the later 3eq, althought I know you can get 2eq on some models, they're impossible to find. The non-contoured body is hardly noticeable unless you play strapped-up high like a fusion player.

The dual pickup basses are a different animal with a different sound, but try them too.

The preEB's are valuable and keep going up every year. But I'd recommend you play several of everything and form your own opinion.

7. excane

excane Banned

Aug 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    +1

8. OnlyMe

OnlyMe

Feb 16, 2006
    Kontich / Belgium
    I'd say new... if you play 5-strings, the 20th SR5 is a-comin' :D

9. Side by side with a new Stingray and the HH Stingray using coils 1&2 (just the bridge pickup), you'd be hard pushed to notice any difference, i certainly didnt notice anything substancial if at all different between them.

10. Rano Bass

Rano Bass

Sep 9, 2006
    Tijuana Mex.
    They sound the same, with coils 1 & 2 selected it's bassicaly the same sound, they sound different because of the other selections on the switch positions. IMO.

11. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    I'd get a new HH or HS. Especially the HH model, boy does it roar. And for slapping? Lord God Almighty..

Rrraarrrr.....

12. mmmmmmm HH Stingrays :smug:

SR.

Do it ! :D

13. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    I would go for a new one myself.

14. kdogg

kdogg

Nov 13, 2005
    Ohio
    Don't forget to check evil-bay! I just picked this baby up, and after all of these comments about the HH model, I'm sooooo stoked! :hyper:

MusicManSterling.

15. TNF

TNF

Oct 7, 2006
    Dallas Tx
    I first bought a '99 SR5 in Honeyburst. I loved the sound, then decided I needed it in 4 banger version. I've always loved the older SR's. I've heard so many recordings using them that sound great, so when I stumbled upon a slab bodied white '83 SR that had been pretty trashed for cheap, I picked it up immediately. A few months later I splurged on the Black '83 Cutlass I that I now have for a great price. I sold the beat white SR and never looked back. This will be my Music Man bass. It sounds and plays great.

[​IMG]

16. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Nice!!!! That color scheme really works well with the HH. Whats that called?

17. kdogg

kdogg

Nov 13, 2005
    Ohio
    I'm not really sure. It looks like the "71 vintage sunburst", but with a little more of a cherry red color. Could just be the photo though. The bass arrives tomorrow, so I'll get a chance to see the color up close. :)

18. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks I build Grosbeak Guitars and Basses Commercial User

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Grosbeak Guitars
    That color is black cherry burst, a killer finish. I'd say go with the new MusicMan.

19. phatduckk

phatduckk

May 24, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    id also go with the new ones.... i have a bunch of MM basses and love them all.

like people said, the Stringray HH is WELL WORTH checking out!! im serious. that thing kills. with the switch in position 1 it sounds like a normal sr4 but then youve got 4 other options. pretty dope IMHO.

i vote "go new"

20. joe nash dk

joe nash dk

Sep 12, 2006
    Denmark
    I have tried some different Stingrays, but my own 77 has beaten them all. The best tone and playability i have ever owned!