Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Brand new or Second hand?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Drumming Puggy, Sep 24, 2004.

1. Second hand gear is obviously cheaper than new but what is the downside to buying second hand?

Is it best/safer to go for new gear to get peace of mind?

2. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    As someone new to bass who bought used and THEN new...

If you really know what to look for and can be sure of what you're getting then used can be a great value. You can turn around and get all of your mony from reselling used equipment if you find a decent deal when you buy, which won't happen with new stuff unless you get an amazing deal. You don't have to know much to get good equipment if you buy new.
    I now have a very nice rig and an oversized, expensive practice amp. Don't be like me.
    I'm learning :rollno:

3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The only downside to used gear is that if it breaks one minute after you buy it you will have to pay for the repair. When you buy new gear you don't have that privilege for the first year :p

4. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    Over the years I have bought a LOT of new and used gear. Some of my best buys were the used stuff. And by "best" I don't mean cheapest. The cash savings were just a bonus. But the critical thing is that you really need to know your gear. This is a world where a Bass can lose half of the wood finish but otherwise is mechanically and tonally excellent. Or, conversely, where the finish is mint but the last owner did a bad job of wiring new pickups.As someone already said...you don't get a warranty. So, if you are comfortable in making that assessment you can get great gear and save a ton of money. You are generally safer though buying from a reputable store rather than a private sale. A good shop doesn't tend to put junk out there for sale. Ahhhh...then there's Ebay. Classic buyer beware!

5. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    If you know what you're looking for (and how to inspect gear or ask the right questions of a seller) you can get some excellent used gear at a price you'll be able to recoup if you sell. I've gotten a GK400RB, Eden WT-400, and Bergantino HT112 used. I love em', but I'm happy I didn't pay for them new. Some companies (like Ampeg) have transferable warrantees, so your used gear will still be covered.

Buying online adds a degree of complication. I haven't done eBay but I've had good luck doing transactions with TBers. The new Feedback Forum here looks like a good thing. Don't be afraid to check references, be a little wary of people looking to sell who have never/seldom posted at TB, check previous posts by sellers to see if they've had problems with gear and if they seem like a reasonable person.

6. The only real flaws are usually cosmetic. But if it's not in 100% working condition, don't buy it.

But then again, I think cosmetic damage shows character in things. Buit that's just me.