1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Brand new Steve Lawson tune from forthcoming live improv album

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by Steve Lawson, Dec 23, 2011.

1. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Hi all,

I've just put up a preview track from my v-soon-to-be-released solo live improv record, Believe In Peace - recorded live in an amazing art gallery in Minneapolis. The rest of the story is over on Soundcloud, if you want to read it while you're listening. Here's the link:

The Creative - Live at I Ching Arts (from forthcoming improv album, Believe In Peace) by solobasssteve on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

enjoy!

Steve
    — Steve Lawson: Bass 2.0 — the soundtrack to the day you wish you'd had

2. nice!!

3. Second that! Nice work, Steve. That's some wonderful artwork, too!

4. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
  5. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
  6. Is this a - for want of a better description - a real album ? I mean can I buy it, and if I dropped it would it make a noise. Can I buy it on CD ?

7. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Yes it's real, no you can't get it on CD.

you're most welcome to burn it to CD once you've downloaded it. You could even burn it to some other kind of disc and keep it at the higher-than-CD quality 24 bit resolution that the FLAC and ALAC versions come in.

There may be a CD version at some point in the future, but it's not planned just now :)

Steve

8. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
  9. Michael Manring

Michael Manring TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    What a beautiful recording! This is perhaps the best argument yet that the bass is a versatile, deeply expressive instrument and in the hands of a brilliant and visionary artist like Steve, is capable of making music of enormous emotional and musical depth. Please buy a copy and share it with your friends and family. I think they'll thank you for it!

10. I love it. Both Steve and Michael really know how to create a sonic atmosphere. Steve, how did you get that sound at the end of the recording? It's gorgeous

11. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
  12. It's "the Creative" last 30 seconds or so.

13. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Aha, that - yes, it's a patch I created in my Lexicon MPX-G2 - massive distortion, delay, reverb and an envelope filter. All the notes played on the bass are faded in with my volume pedal, and faded to different levels in order to keep the envelope opening and closing to different degrees in order to get that evolving, billowing effect.

I created that after hearing a sound on a Sigur Ros record and wanting to get my own version - I realised later that their guitarist was using a violin bow on his guitar to get the sound! This was my attempt at it :)

Steve

14. Man I love it! It's funny you say Sigur Ros because that's who I thought of when I heard it. Keep up the the good work :)

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 24, 2021