1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Brand New "Straight Back" 810's now available!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by shoot-r, Mar 30, 2009.

1. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Here's why I think it also has something to do with the cab. The SLM-to-now towel bar cabs are a little bigger than the straightbacks. So the higher amount of internal volume, while not substantial, is just enough to make the bottom end more woofy. Also, I have to add more 800 to get more even response, but that may just be the head itself, since I hear subdued mids to a lesser degree in my rig's 1st channel.

Believe it or not, the place in DUluth actually gave me a CL/810E. It's made by LOUD, but it works and the head sounds just like other CL's I've played. But now that I'm more familiar with the 69 in a band setting, I so hear the woofiness of the cab compared to mine. Some people may like it, but I like accenting the lows at 125-200 and no lower.

But you are 100% correct that the new speakers don't have as much high end as the CTS's. The new one sounds like it has the proverbial blanket over it. It's a good cab, but it could be way better if they quit trying to make it work with a 1000w power amp.

2. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    yeah, the new speakers are kinda dead sounding (no high end), but i don't think the woofiness is due to the slightly larger towel bar cab. IIRC the old 10's only went down to about 80hz so they kinda 'self-attenuated' the low end (for lack of a better term). the new eminence 10's specs say they go down to 40hz, and though i really don't believe that, they do seem to go down lower than the old ones.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I guess there's only one thing for me to do at this point to settle it once and for all...buy a newer 810E and swap the speakers. Yeah...that'll happen ;)

4. Rickenbackerman

Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
    Opposite situation here - I've got the newer speakers in my straight '69 cab since it stays put at the (upstairs) band practice room (I'd rather hump a tilback than that beast any day) and it does sound pretty good to me - just a bit more bottom and a bit less top. I've heard a few 810E's that sounded like complete a$$ as well, though.

I don't think cab differences have much to do with it - sure the tilt back cabs are a little bigger than the square back ones, but you lose a little bit of internal volume due to the 'slants' on the top and bottom.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Well, that would confirm what John was saying, then.

6. Have you ever tried the Weber's CTS? The Old straightback that I had used the CTS speakers and I ran a 1976 Rickenbacker 4001 Stereo Bass that had a custom preamp added to it with my 1974 Ampeg V-6B head--Talk about a sweet sound! The lows were out of this world and I just used the ultra hi switch on the head if I needed more highs. Other than that, I think the straightback had a sound all it's own.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Haven't tried the Webers, but the guy has a stellar reputation in the industry and the know-how to make clones, so if he says they're clones, I'm pretty sure I'd believe him.

8. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    yeah, i wish i could justify putting eight weber 10's in my 810E, but after thinking about it, for $800 + shipping, i don't think that its really worth it. the cab sounds good as it is, but it does require the hi boost switch to be on to make it sound more like my straightback. and actually, my V4 cab loaded w/ four neo 2512's sounds more like my straightback 8x10 than the 810E does.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Well, I paid $81 + 7% tax for recones of my CTS's last year, so there's one born every minute ;)

10. you guys must have some pretty awesome Ampeg rigs!
    I am an "Ampegger" for life! I just prefer the older vintage stuff over the new gear. It has a much warmer sound to me. Now I do have an American BA115 SLM model from 2002--has survived a fire and the only thing that happened to it was the XLR output no longer works. I can use a direct box...I am really geared up about hollarin' at Bruce over at fliptops and checking out that 8x10 and a custom V-6B cab. It will take a while but when it does happen, I will revisit this post and let ya'll know what happened...

11. Bassmec

Bassmec

May 9, 2008
    Ipswich UK
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    Just finished recording six gui**** tracks X 2 sm 57's from 2 passes. I with a Dual Rec and the other With A JCM 800 power-soaked into an old
    seamed cone CTS 12" Square magnet driver in an open back cab.
    This is for a band called "Raw Noise" OK the old CTS designs may not handle heaps of power or have a voice coil the size of a sewer pipe but its a very agile and aggressive little speaker.:ninja:

12. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    bishop,
    i actually prefer the old vintage stuff too, but i really like my VR head with the NOS tubes in the front end just as much as my '69 and '75 SVT heads. plus, since it's 'replaceable' , i actually use it on gigs more often.

as also an 'Ampegger for life' my current Ampeg amps consist of:
    '69 SVT head
    '75 SVT head
    '07 SVT VR head
    '90's SVT810E (cosmetically converted to an AV)
    '72 SVT 8x10 Straightback
    '98 SVT610HLF (cosmetically converted to an AV)
    three- 1970 V4 Cabs
    2-early '70's V4 heads
    1-early V4B head
    '74 VT-22
    '72 VT40
    '63 B15N (w/12" cab)
    and a custom made TL606 that looks like a VT-22 closed back extension cab with an EVM15L in it.

13. How did that 12" CTS break up when pushed?

14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    It's never a good idea to push speakers to that point. Breakup from a tube amp is cool because it doesn't hurt the amp. Might cause tubes to burn out slightly sooner but it's not going to blow it up. Pushing a speaker WILL blow it up.

My list isn't as awesome as John's, but I've got the important ones:

69 SVT with 6146 power tubes
    64 B-15N restored by the inventor
    77 B-15N
    73 810 with CTS's
    Replica B-15 extension cab made by www.vintage-blue.us (a super cab with a lot of great improvements for a road musician and absolutely perfect detail work)
    Replica B-15 extension cab made by www.fliptops.net (a fine cab that isn't as deluxe or finely crafted as the Vintage Blue but is perfectly usable)

15. Hey gentlemen, thanks for all of the advice and info! This is really a great site and you Bass Players/Musicians are really great. I thought I knew some stuff but you guys really enlightened me! Thanks for letting me be a part!

16. Man, I would love to hang out in your studio!! I would be in Ampeg Heaven between you and JimmyM!!

17. The gear that currently own:

Ampeg V-6B 1980's
    2000 ish Ampeg 610HLF
    2002 Ampeg BA115
    Behringer BXT 1800
    Seismic Audio 4x10--Not bad with the Behringer head
    Ampeg SR6 pa
    Ampeg 4x12 80 ish-Not sure of the model, bought it empty and restoring it
    1980 Ampeg G60

18. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Well, you'll be happy to know that it doesn't matter a lick in the long run ;)

I got lucky and got some very good deals on stuff years ago. John's a builder and a player and lives for this stuff. But I went for 10 years without using a tube amp on a regular basis when my SVT broke down and nobody ever complained unless I made a mistake. Nor has anyone ever complained when I use a rented CL on a gig instead of a vintage. Deals are harder to come by on the real old stuff, but they're still usually not more than a new one.

It's all down to what you do as a player. People always want to know what to do to make their gear sound better, and I always say "practice." Having said that, yeah, these amps are f'n sweet!

19. For sure,
    I agree totally with you on the fact that it is practice which makes you sound good. I'm just saying that with that, the Ampeg has always given me the sound that I like. Even though my V6B is a solid state, I love the sound. I had a V4 guitar head and I like it as well and I wish I did not give it up. I have played the Peavey amps and they are okay and they cut through the mix nice for me and like you said, no one complaine until you hit the wrong note--I just love that Ampeg sound!

20. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Ah, you were the one with the G60! I was trying to remember who showed that recently.

Check out John's thread on restoring a 412:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=529540