1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Brand New "Straight Back" 810's now available!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by shoot-r, Mar 30, 2009.

1. Thanks man! That is a hot piece of Ampeg equipment alright. I was thinking about those eminence speakers or (don't slap me) the Jensen vintage speakers

2. Can someone show some pics of a straight back cab vs. a newer 810 cab. I'm always reading about the straight back being better but I want to see the difference or at least have it explained to me. There's someone selling a 1970 SVT with the 810 but I can't tell if its a straight. The price?.....$2400

3. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    i don't have any pics of my straightback cab since its in my storage unit and it won't fit in my car to bring it home, but here's a pic of my angleback (newer 810):

svt-vr-svt810-av-2.

the back's top and bottom are angled to allow for the towel bar at the top and the casters at the bottom. the straightbacks are perfectly rectangular (flatback) and a dolly (cart) attaches to the bottom with two thumb wheels.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Can't find a pic of a straightback that will post on here, but they don't have those angles on the back or the towel bar used for transporting it.

5. That's a true masterpiece John! Great website too!

6. Thanks Guys. Do you guys think $2400 for a 1970 rig is a good price? They both seems to be on good shape.

7. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    without actually seeing or hearing them, if they are, in fact, all original and in good shape-yes. i think that its a bargain.

in good shape with all original speakers, i've seen the straightback cabs currently go for $500-800. and blue line 1970 heads, in good shape around $1500-2000 (give or take).
    although i saw a really clean 1970 head/cab go for $2K on ebay afew weeks ago.

8. Nice to know. I may just get an SVT-II for I'm hoping around $500. I checked your site and saw a Fender 400PS that you own. I'm curious to know more about it. It read about it in some fender books and I think its in the Tube Amp Book, but how does it sound?

9. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    while the 400PS is a very nice amp and very powerful, it doesn't sound anything like an SVT (its more like a fender on steroids). the feature that i don't like is that you need three speaker cabs (or at least three speaker loads) to get the full power of 400+ watts out of the amp. to me, the 300PS is a bit more versatile with its 'rotary' graphic eq and ability to provide 300+ watts into a single cab. the 300PS can sound very similar to an SVT with a bit of eq adjustment. also, they both require that you use vintage GE6550's in them. almost every other 6550 will probably melt!

10. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    You guys are giving me AAS. I'd like to get one of each.

Attached Files:

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Hard not to love the SVT, isn't it, David? (devil on shoulder mode) Do it! It's only money!

:D

12. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    Your right Jimmy. For some strange reason, and I'll never understand why, my wife just doesn't see it that way. I'll have to work on convincing her.

13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    All I have to say is "remember that pool at our old house I was dead set against and ended up costing us a fortune to run and did nothing for the resale value?" and I'm golden! You need leverage, dude! Let her go get a ridiculous purse or something ;)

14. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    take her out shoe shopping. that has ALWAYS worked for me.

15. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    Thanks for the suggestions. She bought both shoes and a purse last week! I didn't even think to leverage them.

I figure maybe I should angle for just one SVT at a time. Perhaps start with a VR. I have to be careful though, if I push too hard, she's going to start talking about having her parents come and visit.:crying:

16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Nah, start with a vintage, bro. You can get Black Lines, Magnavoxes, and MTI's for way less than a VR with a much better 810 cab than current 810E's, and even Blue Lines can be had for the same price or less. For cabs, my personal opinion is you're much better off with a straightback, early towel bar, or even a 90's 810E than anything made since 2000. Newer cabs are too dark sounding for me, and Ampeg had a 5 year period where they were using chipboard, and you definitely don't want one of them.

Now if you can get a good deal on a used VR, I'd definitely consider that.

17. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
  18. denton57

denton57 Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2005
    Arkansas
    Just charge it and forget about it! I have a 73 blackline and the matching 8x10 :)

19. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    I don't have any reason to not want a black line, Magnavox or MTI, but for some reason, I have my heart set on a blue line with a straight back cabinet that I can restore. It's one of those things that if I got I anything else, I'd probably regret it. Years ago I bought a 1970 VOX AC30 because I couldn't find the early 60's model that I was looking for. I wound up selling it because it just wasn't the same. I learnt my lesson then. Hold out for the model that you want.

A lot of people say that with NOS tubes, they have the sound of an original blue line. Sound is a big factor but I'm also wondering about the build quality. Often the old ones are build better but that isn't always the case. I'd be interested in knowing how the transformers, chassis, circuit boards (quality and layout) and components compare in the original vs the VR. Does the VR have less hiss and hum than the original? I've tried the VR and like it a lot. I think that the only way to answer these questions is to take and original and VR apart side by side and compare them.

John, thanks for the pointers to the two amps. They both look good.

Unfortunately, I'm not ready to go ahead now. The SVT is at the top of my list. When the time comes, I can get a good deal on a VR. That's why I'm seriously considering that model. I'm also wondering what Ampeg is planning. They just had a rebate (-$200 and -$100 on select amps and cabs including the VR and 810AV) program in place. I'm wondering if they did this to clear their inventory because they plan on bringing out revised models. Maybe business was slow and they just wanted to boost sales.

David

20. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    John can answer the tech questions better than I ever could. But the VR has had a problem of shutting down when powered with less than 112v (bypassing the relay is the answer there), and every single part was outsourced to China, including the transformers. At first, there were a lot of reports of reliability problems, but the fact remains that when you get a VR that works, it sounds great. I could never bring myself to buy a new one because I think LOUD Technologies signifies everything that's wrong with taking a great musical instrument company and letting accountants and lawyers run it. I'd buy a used one in a heartbeat if it worked and was a decent deal. YMMV.

Personally I'd hold out for the Blue Line. I'll never sell mine now that I fixed it up and I know how awesome it truly is.