1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Brand New "Straight Back" 810's now available!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by shoot-r, Mar 30, 2009.

1. FFTT

FFTT

Mar 15, 2009
    My '73 8X10 has become my favorite guitar cab with my Hot Cat 100R
    so much that I was looking at the fliptops flat back 70's SVT 4X10 as a more portable alternative.

Unfortunately, I'm stuck with the same problem wanting AlNiCos

2. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    The Weber ABA10 (https://taweber.powweb.com/weber/aba10.htm) is an AlNiCo 30W speaker. Power wise, a 410 would work well with a 100 Watt amp. The nice thing about Weber is that you can specify modifications if you want. For instance, if it were just for guitar, you could have them make you a set with an aluminum dust cap or a lighter coating of dope around the surround if you wanted to tune the speaker to be less deep.

3. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    I agree with you Jimmy. You can't beat an original blue line. Finding a good restorable one is getting a lot harder. I've seen some that look like they were used as boat anchors.
    I'm going to put out a few feelers locally and see what turns up.

Bypassing the relay on the VR looks like a great solution to the problem with low voltage. You have to wonder what Ampeg was thinking. Maybe it is just marketing, they claim that it is a feature. On the other hand, if there are lower voltage taps on the transformer, maybe it is there because the transforms specs are marginal and they want people who have a lower outlet voltage to have their amps use the proper tap. If that were the case though, you would think that they would have put something on the back of the amp to easily select the line voltage like Marshall and others have done.

David

4. FFTT

FFTT

Mar 15, 2009
    This is the problem, wanting a 4X10 to sound as close to the AlNiCo 8X10 as possible, but also able to handle both my Hot Cat 100 R
    as well as my new Reeves 225.
    I don't think anyone makes 10" AlNiCo's capable of 4 handling up to 250 watts RMS.

The high power 10" Weber AlNiCo's are rated up to 60 watts and
    $175.00-$180.00 each.

The 4X10 would also need to be set up for 8 Ohms so I could pair it up with a single 15" for the Reeves at a later time.

So where the original 8X10 makes a wonderful dual purpose cab,
    I don't know if I'm going to be happy trying to come up with the same sound quality and versatility in a 4X10.

5. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    There is nothing like the wall of sound you get when you stand in front of the larger cab.

6. FFTT

FFTT

Mar 15, 2009
    The problem is that I'm spoiled by 8X10 AlNiCo goodness.

I also have rather serious hearing issues and like having
    the speakers up where I can hear details.

This helps since the SVT 8X10
    real sweet spot is about 30 feet in front of the cab.

What attracts me to the fliptops 4X10 is that he says
    the cab is built with that same closed chamber SVT design
    as well as the original 16" depth of the cab.

So choosing the right drivers is not so much a problem
    for dedicated bass or guitar use, but selecting drivers
    for dual purpose is where I'm stuck.

If you heard my youtube clips, what pleases me about
    that old cab is the wonderful low end growl while still
    delivery plenty of sparkling highs.

The lower efficiency drivers also reduce
    the paint peeling punishment compared to my
    high efficiency 2X12 with 1 EVM12L and 1 JBL-K120.
    The 2X12 is actually 1/3 louder than the 8X10
    simply due to speaker efficiency.

I can run the Hot Cat fully dimed through the 8X10
    and the tones are far more comfortable to listen to.

The mind boggles

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I think that if you have to favor one side over the other, I'd favor the bass side. Or at least get a guitar speaker that can handle the demands of bass. You don't need tons of xmax for a sealed bass cab but you do need it to be able to handle what you put in it.

8. FFTT

FFTT

Mar 15, 2009
    My 8X10 is giving me the tones I want but I still haven't learned that heavy lifting trick from Master Yoda. :)

9. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    You could have the fliptop cabinet built with removable backs on the top and bottom chambers. Leave it sealed for bass and open one or both if you wanted a different sound for guitar.

10. FFTT

FFTT

Mar 15, 2009
    I may just have to set up one of the 4X10's as a dedicated guitar cab and
    get a single 15" for the Reeves.

I have always liked the idea of a combo back for recording versatility, but
    the whole reason I'm looking at the flat back 4X10 is because of the cool guitar tones
    I'm getting with that deep sealed chamber design.