1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Brand of Bass=Certain Music Style?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by escaraBAJO, Apr 24, 2009.

1. escaraBAJO

escaraBAJO

Apr 24, 2000
    I see a lot of Fender users here and when they show there music it's usually some kind of rock, r/b, blues, pop etc.
    And when i see these exotic bass users they tend to do more of an "alternative" music. Mostly proggresive, contemporary.

Is it necessary to use a Fender for rock?
    Can rock be played with other non-traditional brand?
    Is it necessary to use an exotic bass for prog?
    Can non-traditional music be played with traditional equipment?

The main question i ask here is out of pure curiosity and to learn from you:

Who plays proggresive, fusion, contemporary with Fender and the like and who does the other way around and what are your reasons?
    Thanks

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    No, not really. You can certainly use any bass you like, for any style of music you choose. There are certain basses that are associated with certain styles, but no hard, fast rules.

3. stiles72

stiles72

Mar 20, 2009
    Albany IL
    I've played oldies and Motown with a Gibson Nikki Sixx Blackbird through a Gene Simmons cabinet. Conversely, I've played Godsmack and Disturbed type modern rock with my Fender P strung with La Bella flats. Use whatever you feel like playing and whatever gives you the tone you're looking for.

4. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    That kind of crap is much more about fashion than about music. Any player can use just about any bass for just about any "style" of music. When I was younger there was a guy in town who said he'd never hire a bassist who played a Fender. Had to have Gibson or a Rick. He was a great guitarist, but didn't gig much.

THing is, "styles" of music are mostly for selling things. Labels are either so broad that they mean nothing or so convoluted that they don't tell us anyting. What's "rock" these days? Just about everything played on contemporary country music today would have been reviled as bad rock music in the '80s and never played on a country station. And then once you start using hyphen, it's all over.

I'm a big fan of Duke Ellington's approach to this. When asked if he considered what he wrote and played to be jazz he replied "There're only two kinds of music. Music that sounds good and whatever you want to call that other stuff."

jte

5. CraigG

CraigG

Mar 14, 2006
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    I use a Conklin Groove Tools GTBD7 for everything - folk, jazz, classic rock, urban gospel, funk, world music. I believe technique and skill more often defines how good a particular bass may fit into in a particular style than the bass itself.

6. Judo chop

Judo chop

Apr 20, 2009
    I would require a double-necked bass for playing Tap's "Big Bottom", but otherwise, I'm going to use my Lakland for everything else since it does everything else just fine.

7. Snakeman1066

Snakeman1066 Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2007
    Central Valley
    fashion mostly...

usually a certain number of players in a given genre will favor a certain brand and that brand automatically gets labeled as a bass for that genre

Take ESP for Example...ever notice the number of Speed/Death/Black Metal bassists that use them?

granted certain Pups configurations will sit in the mix a little better than others for certain typs of music, but generally just about any bass can be used for any type of music IMHO

8. HogieWan

HogieWan

Feb 4, 2008
    Lafayette, LA
    That's a great line, right there.

I would say that different brands have different tone ranges and that those tones are what we expect to hear in a song of a certain style, so that's what we choose. It's (usually) more about tone than a brand, but looks do play a huge part of a live show.

9. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    The "fashion" response sounds about right to me.

I remember several years ago I bought an ESP LTD-B204 (even though I'm not a metal player) but eventually returned it a few weeks later and bought a Jazz instead. While the tech was setting up the Jazz I picked up the ESP again just to be sure I really wanted to do the swap. Honestly, I liked it but I was returning it least partially because it wasn't something I thought was "more appropriate" for what I play.

A few minutes after I put it back another guy asked me which bass I was playing. He said he thought it sounded really good and wanted to try it so I pointed it out to him. He pulled it back down off the wall and played some jazz bass lines that made my jaw drop. Then while I was up at the register when the Jazz was ready he came up with that same ESP.

I learned then that you play what works best for you - and also that in most cases a good player can make almost any bass sound good in almost any situation.

10. T-MOST

T-MOST Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2004
    NJ via NYC
    Sometimes yes... sometimes no. Go figure!

11. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

I have seen people use a large variety of basses for rock. Especially if we're considering metal an offshoot of rock, which I think it is. I play in two metal bands and a classic rock band, and I don't even own a Fender. I play in a folk band as well and record with the same bass I use for my metal and rock stuff.

I have seen a Fender P-bass used for weird proggy fusion stuff.

A bassist should use the bass they like the most, never pay attention to what kind is 'fashionable' for whatever music.

12. I use a HH stingray (fretted or fretless) for anything from punk or metal to jazz or classical styles.

Use whatever you want to :)

13. LowBSix

LowBSix Commercial User

Mar 25, 2008
    818 ~ 805 ~ L.A.
    Endorsing Artist: GHS Strings
    Play what you like the sound and action on the bass.

Creat your own sound and style... Use influences as that... Be you!

14. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    If a pink Hello Kitty Bass sounded damn good to me, I would play it; period! I don't give a damn what anybody thinks about the look of a bass and all that crap. If people do, they are more concerned with the look of the band rather than the music. Aaron Lewis of Staind plays live in flip flops - he plays and sings amazingly - can't knock him!

I suggest that everybody gets a bass that they like and just play it. Any bass for any genre. I would get a kick out of seeing a gutarist on stage with country band playing a Gibson Flying V or a bassist toting a Tom Araya (Slayer) ESP signature bass. If he sounds good, why should we not listen to him?

I am not a big Fender fan, but after listening to so many P-basses lately, I realize how wonderful they can really sound. I prefer humbucker pickups on my basses with longer scales and neck-thru bodies. Those Spector basses just speak to me! If a Fender allows you to express yourself, buy it and rock it hard!

15. Shy Guy

Shy Guy

Sep 23, 2008
    Templeton, MA
    This is a one way street though, I mean I wouldn't expect someone to play, nor want some to play, a Ritter or Fodera at a hardcore punk show.

16. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    Why does that even matter? If the player has a good tone and he makes the band sound good overall, who cares?

17. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2005
    Kansas City, MO
    When I think progressive I think of Geddy Lee who not only plays a Fender Jazz but has his own signature model. Then there is Chris Squire from Yes who mainly played a Rickenbacker. I think it is more about versatility and getting the tone you want then a specific look.

18. One day I shall punk it out on a 7-string+ singlecut boutique bass :bassist:

19. Meh, music hasn't been about music for a really long time, anyway.

20. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I think my '74 Fender P with 20 year old flats sounds amazing for blues. But I played a Dingwall 5er and a Roscoe 6er at my last 2 blues shows. Guess what? They both sounded friggin' amazing.

Too many people co-relate pointy basses to metal and old Fenders to Blues, country, etc. Play what you like and what sounds good. Who cares what it looks like? (Wishbasses excepted, of course;):D).

I may sound like a d!@k, but whenever a potential band asks me what kind of bass(es) I play without hearing my capabilities (and understanding that I have "pro gear" that is gigable), I immediately walk. I am not interested in playing with clowns that are more interested in what is printed on my headstock than my crappy playing.:spit::bassist: