Brand or Type of bridge

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by mettec, Oct 19, 2016.

Tags:
  1. mettec

mettec

Aug 22, 2005
    Minneapolis
    I recently received a gift from my GF for my birthday and she bought me a LMS Acrylic see-thru 5 string bass with LED's in neck and body. Anyway, I tried to do a intonation but could not get it to tune correctly so I took it to a respected Luther in town and he found that the bridge was set about 3/4" to close toward the neck and the saddles of the bridge would not go back enough to get it to tune correctly. So he said that he could move it back about 1 inch so it could be intonated correctly. I was thinking of having a Babicz bridge installed instead of the cheap one that is stock. What are your opinions on this and is the Babicz bridge a good choose to use? I also thought of a string tree being installed to tighten the string tension as well. What would you do.

PS The China company refunded $250 of the $500 she spent on it as well because they didn't want it back.

2. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

I recently got a bass with a Babicz. The design is alright, there are a lot of screws, but I will be singing some great Babicz praises in the near future. The bass I received was missing a set screw from the bridge. I contacted Babicz about acquiring a new one and they dropped a couple in the mail for me. I am a sucker for customer service and they nailed it out of the park.

3. I-Am-The-Slime

I-Am-The-Slime

Jan 8, 2010
    SW VA
    No experience with the Bab but some points of concern might be:

marks left by the original bridge install - if there, can they be polished out or do you need to cover them with the new bridge footprint?

original screw holes - how to best fill them in order to make them as imperceptible as possible

weight - I understand these basses can be on the heavy side, you might want to minimize where possible

I don't think a tree will affect tension...

great deal on the refund! :woot:

hope to see pix of whatever you end up going with

4. mettec

mettec

Aug 22, 2005
    Minneapolis
    I think the new bridge will cover the previous holes but i do have another issue. So I took some measurements of the string spacing and it is .669" on my bass but the Babicz is .750" . Would this be an issue? Another thought was a Hipshot A style bridge but I am confused that they offer different string spacing's but you can still adjust the spacing on their bridges as well. As you can see from the photo the strings are slightly off from being in the middle of the pole pieces on a few strings, so will I be able to align the strings with the bridge being set back as well as having a bridge with wider spacing or adjustable spacing?

Attached Files:

5. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Yes you will be able to do so. However, looking at the B and G string margins on the fretboard I personally wouldn't want to move that G any further out.

The string pole alignment is fine as I'd tonally and any desire to align them perfectly is just your OCD speaking to you.

Before you go ahead here, at least take out a measuring no tape and measure this all for yourself. Measure from the fb side of the nut to the middle of 12th fret. Of that is equal to the distance from the 12th to the G saddle +/- a fraction or two, report back here.

6. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Looking at the pic above, I'm not convinced the bridge is mis-installed. The positioning of the B, E, & A saddles is pretty much what I would expect from any 5 string configuration. I don't know what the heck is going on with the D & G saddles, though, as conventional wisdom holds that both should be forward of the A saddle. You've got a problem and dumping $$ into a new bridge would not be my immediate response. How does your "respected" luthier explain it? I would get a second opinion.

2nd cup-of-coffee edit: Did your tech set-up the intonation pictured or is that your handiwork? Frankly, I've become quite suspect of any tech described as "respected", "well known", etc. Take Walter / walterw for example: been going to him for years and I have no respect whatsoever.

Riis

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
    96tbird likes this.
  7. testing1two

testing1two Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    rodney.jpg

8. mettec

mettec

Aug 22, 2005
    Minneapolis
    Hello! So here's the details on this bass. I know how to do a intonation setup but i could not get the bass to intonate correctly. I belong to a group called Minnesota Bass Masons and we had a get together last week just to try other players gear and shop talked. I spoke to many players about the bass and everyone told me to go to this particular luthier. So i took the bass to him and he called me a few days later saying that he tried intonating it and said he tried starting with the D and G strings and told me that the saddles wont go back far enough to get it in tune so he said he can move the bridge back about 1/2" which should give enough room to get it intonated. He didnt charge me and i ask if he could install a better bridge instead. So what you see on the pic is where he stopped. This guy is real good by seeing his work and other players recommendation. Now hearing this what is your honest opinion?

9. testing1two

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    You can determine if the bridge located properly in less than 30 seconds with a tape measure:
    1. Measure the distance between the nut and the 12th fret
    2. Multiply that number by 2 to determine the scale length of the instrument
    3. Measure from the nut to the G string saddle. The measurement should be very close to the scale length.
    It will be immediately apparent if the bridge is off by 3/4 of an inch.

10. mettec

mettec

Aug 22, 2005
    Minneapolis
    Hello! Yes I did measure and it is off by about 1/2" as far as I could tell and that is what the Luther said as well and It is a 34" scale bass.

I guess my whole reasoning for posting this here is to find a good bridge, setup it up with a low action, have the strings be equally apart and most important have the bass be in tune. Now it is just finding the right bridge that will do what I need it to. (action, intonation, string spacing) Hipshot A style bridge is at the top of my list so far. This is somewhat a gimmicky bass and will only be played a few times each night because of the cool LED lights on the body and fingerboard but still needs to sound and play well.

11. mettec

mettec

Aug 22, 2005
    Minneapolis
    I wanted to get a Babicz bridge but i think they only come in .750" which might be to wide spacing for this bass. Can anyone confirm this?

12. testing1two

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    Correct, Babicz only comes in 19mm/.750" spacing. There aren't many 4 string bridges offered with 17mm/.669" spacing but Hipshot would be at the top of my list.

13. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Did your intonation attempts yield the same results or vary in some regard? The tech's aborted attempt would explain the weird pattern. Ignore the G & D strings for a moment and focus on the A / E / B saddles. How far out of whack are they in their current position(s)? IOW, when you tune to the 12th harmonic, how far out is the 12th fretted in comparison? Peterson tuners are great for quantifying the deviation.

Riis

14. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    Peterson tuner.jpg

Zooberwerx likes this.
  15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021