Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Brand spankin' new carvin b1500

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassist286, Mar 3, 2004.

1. bassist286

bassist286

Nov 22, 2001
    rhode island
    I went through with ordering the carvin b1500. I receved it on time and i was very impressed. hooking the amp up shoved the indertructable construction and superb tone. The amp is completely colorless. amazing. if your looknig for a new amp buy this one with the price and the quality you can't go wrong. By the way it's 1900w @ 2 ohms! :D

p.s. this is 100% imho

2. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Hi bassist286, have you owned or used other bass amps? How would you compare your new Carvin to, say, an SWR 750 or something?

How about other Carvin amps? Have you ever owned or played with a Carvin power amp (like a FET-1000 or a DCM-2000)? And if so, how would you compare the dynamics, relative to your new amp?

I'm just curious, I've had very good experiences with Carvin power amps (they're very clean and dynamic, and reliable), but I didn't like the Carvin bass amps I've tried. Never tried the new 1500 watt amp though, just wondering what's "different" about it, relative to the other Carvin bass amps. :)

3. bassist286

bassist286

Nov 22, 2001
    rhode island
    The thing I loved about this carvin amp is that it dosent have all the crap carvin put on the red line series. Like the "noise filter" and "crossover" which is dumb becasue it only goes down to about 200hz. It just a huge amp with a nice eq, super simple. The cound is completly uncolored but it also has some kind of "drive" on it so you can also get that ampeg style "grinding" tone.
    Compaired to the 750x i think your getting the same amp but more powerfull and cheaper. Remember, the 750x is actually a "fender" product since swr got bought out by them. your paying for the name in my opinon.

4. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer

First, have you actually played through the 750? If you're just going by specs...well it doesn't say more than that you just compared specs. It's not really helpful as far as describing the tonal differences, eq sensitivities, etc, IMO.

Secondly, prices for SWR gear have remained virtually flat since the takeover so there is no premium for the name that wasn't there prior to the takeover.

5. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I've got a B1500 on order. I'll try to post some comments when I've had a chance to work it out some.

6. bassist286

bassist286

Nov 22, 2001
    rhode island
    i think the only thing i can say more about it is that the 750 has a crispyer tone to it compared to the b1500. sorry if i angered anyone. :meh:

7. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    Maybe silly question...but is the amp refered to as the "mono block"? I'm considering the purchase of one or the 1000 watt redline. I take it the 1500 is the way to go. I like the simplicity factor. Along with my Hartke 4000 and my Ibanez BTB 510, with the active eq...it seems most times I just have to much control over the tone and it takes forever to dial in.

8. bassist286

bassist286

Nov 22, 2001
    rhode island
    i found the red line to be full of stuff that is actually useless. I would go with the 1500. And yeah, a simple 5 band is all most people really need for bass. If you like that and power out the wazoo then this is the amp for you.

9. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    By the way...the redline has a compressor. What is that and what does it do???

10. bassist286

bassist286

Nov 22, 2001
    rhode island
    a compressor "compresses" the sound. It makes the "loud" sounds quieter and the "quieter" sounds louder. But in my opinion the amp's version is just bad sounding.

11. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada
    Greetings,
    Great amp (R1000) but the "Soft Knee Compressor" is useless.
    Rezdog

12. bigBbass451

bigBbass451

Apr 9, 2004
    how's the power output on it.... i mean it says it's like1900 watts but does it actually sound that loud?

13. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    That's what I'm wondering. My experience with Carvin (integrated heads as well as power amps) has dictated that they are relatively underpowered.

14. bassist286

bassist286

Nov 22, 2001
    rhode island
    To give you all a little up date, the carvin head is working great. Not one darn problem. I still have it running at 4ohms @ 1275 watts (two cabs).I been Playing with my band in which the guitarest's use two half stacks. I only need to have it on 3 or 4 to be perfectly herd. so yeha it's really really loud. Also i experimented with the eq a bit.....sub bass at 10 + bass at 10 = big boom. It's really is fun. thanks

15. Joe Boom

Joe Boom

Jun 25, 2004
    Chicago, IL

The Premium is that you are still paying the same prices for product that is no longer design by or affiliated with Steve Raven. Neither Fender nor Gibson has a history of maintaining the quality in the premium product companies that they have purchased. Remeber how good Tobias (not MTD) used to be? Or Trace Elliot? Or Heartfield? Fender is a big as it is because of clever ideas 50 years ago and fantastic cost take-out and marketing ever since. Don't expect the SWR brand to be handled any differently.

16. +1

17. There's no place here in the Netherlands where I can try one, but for the money I think it will be hard to beat those specs. If it is truly as neutral sounding as some of you say, I think I want one!

18. mgood

mgood

Sep 29, 2001
    Levelland, Texas
    Very clean, clear and loud.
    What you get out of it is the sound of your bass, not the sound some amp designer thinks your bass should sound like.