Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Brand Spankin Newbie Bass Pack

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RubberPiggyToy, Dec 15, 2003.

1. RubberPiggyToy

RubberPiggyToy Guest

Dec 7, 2003
    Wichita, Kansas
    Hello, I am going to start playing the bass. I have decided I will probably go for a pack, And I have asked for suggestions from weveral friend who play the Bass. I am going to probably play mostly Rock and maybe some Funk, but its not a big deal because I mainly want to LEARN to play. Here is what I have narrowed It down to. Epiphone
    Squire
    I am kind of favored towards the epiphone because of it looks and lack of a pick guard. Thanks.
    :)

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    THe epihpone has a pickguard, its just black.

3. atf487

atf487

Nov 25, 2003
    Millis, MA
    Just so you know, packs aren't really the way to go..You'll just have to upgrade later.

4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
  5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    :bassist: you ALWAYS have to upgrade... we call it GAS!

6. I seem to get that alot when I don't have cash!

But I'd go with what speddling said. I got an Essex bass from rondo music and it's a great bass. They are great starter basses and all around great for the money. If you wanna do rock and funk, get a Jazz bass.

I would recommend This Essex Jazz or This Brice Jazz

The difference between the two is IMO the Brice uses better wood and from what everyone has gathered from the Essex Megathread, the Brice basses are better quality all around.

Hope I was of some help!

Best Regards,
    Tyler Hole

7. RubberPiggyToy

RubberPiggyToy Guest

Dec 7, 2003
    Wichita, Kansas
    Wow, thanks, those basses are really nice. Plus they wont put a hole in my pocket, thanks guys. Im guessing a Microbass III amp would be ok?

8. bplayerofdoom

bplayerofdoom

Aug 6, 2002
    R.S.M.
    I have a epiphone accu-bass jr ( im 6 feet 6 inches with goiliath hands and with 4 years of experience and i still play on my jr.) and i've played several fender p-bass squires. For the most part i can't stand playing on squires. The accu-bass on the other hand is still one of the more confertable basses ive played(partial biases as it being the bass im also most used to).

Cons of the accubass, factory setup is well known for being ****ty(like mine was) and unless i shimmy my neck(don't worry bout that term) I can't get my action real low(action = distance between string and fret board.)which means it takes slightly more strenth to play. also there are numerous reports of the knobs falling off(my are fine, err were fine i replaced the electronics and never put the knobs back on)and the strat thingy strippin causeing you to drop you bass. After it falls out once you can fill the whole with glue and stick it back in and it should never fall out again, and if your super secure like me, then i also sewn my strap to my strap knob thingy so that i absolutly wont drop it again. Dropping it you say sounds bad well that brings me to the pros,

The pros of the accu-bass, lets just say theres many reports of people trying to smash these things in concert and failing, they're absoluty indestruction which makes me always wonder why the strap thingly pops out on alot(acually those pop out of pretty much on any cheap bass squire included). Other pro is the bass's natural sound is pretty decent, definatly better than the squire IMO.

between those i would choose the epiphone(get at a store and have them set it up for you, a store should do that ive been told although ive never known anyone personally that had it done).

another thing to consider though is that is not your only choices, the person above pointed out some basses, one of which is cheaper, that are cheaper that i have not tried.

You don't necessary have to buy a package, if you walk into a smaller store without starter packs most should feel free to throw one together for about 250.

I walked into my local small music store and asked if he could throw a beginners package together for me, he showed me a few basses, i picked the accubass, then he threw in a crate practice amp, a bag(a very very high quality one might i add being the only one the had in stock), a strap, a chord(store brand but suprisingly high quality), a handfull of picks, and a pick holder(my brother snuck that one in) all for 300 dollars flat, taxes included which is about the same as musicians friend after shipping and handling and taxes.

a typical standard deal is ill give you the bass for $xxx.xx and everything else for $50.

dont worry bout premade packeges, walk into a store and find out what the got(bring your most knowledable friend to prevent being ripped off).

I ramble

9. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    That amp wil be way better then whatever comes in the starter pack anywho.

10. RubberPiggyToy

RubberPiggyToy Guest

Dec 7, 2003
    Wichita, Kansas
    Wow, thanks, you guys have been a great help, oh BTW what is the difference between the SX SJB-62 QMD(Gold Hardware) and the Essex SJB-62 TM(Silver Hardware)

11. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    THe finish pattern is slightly different.. and one has gold hardware, one has silver.

12. The diff between them is the color of the hardware (one is gold, other chrome) and the finish. The QMD has a finish that costs more therefore the bass itself costs more.

Otherwise I see no other diff...

13. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    SX is the perfect starter bass, high enough quality to impress most of the pro, and semi-pro players that have messed with them.

I also second the microbass III, I messed around with one in a store I was running while the owner was out of state, and it was quite nice sounding! It stayed behind the counter with me all week :D

14. atf487

atf487

Nov 25, 2003
    Millis, MA
    Hehe, Gear Acquisition Syndrome?

Thing is though, even compared to the standard models that are supposedly included with the packs, they don't stack up. They skimp on all the parts.

And I have and SX and like it a lot...

15. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    An Essex or Brice 4 string Jazz: $120-150
    A Behringer BX300 amp: $99

Not getting suckered into buying a cheap starter pack: Priceless!

:bassist:

16. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA

I KNOW WHAT IT STANDS FOR NOW! :bawl:

17. RubberPiggyToy, you might consider lessons from a Bass Pro in your area too.

Lessons are a great way to get started on the right path.

WELCOME TO TB.

[​IMG]
    Treena