1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Brand spanking new 41 year old bass player

Discussion in 'Welcome Forum - New Member Intros' started by Bengals0225, Aug 25, 2012.

1. Bengals0225

Bengals0225

Aug 25, 2012
    So, after years and years of hemming and hawing, I finally broke down and got a bass guitar.

My name is Aaron, and I live in Cleveland, Ohio.

I attended a free bass clinic at Sam Ash for Frank Bello, of one my favorite bands of all time: Anthrax.

Listening to Frank talk about where he came from, and how he came to play bass, and how he developed into a bass player made a very inspirational moment for me.

That night, after attending the Mayhem Fest in Cleveland, I sat up all night, deciding to search Craigslist to see what was out there, as far as used bass guitars go.
    I'm not wealthy, so even a "Pick Up and Play" starter set by Ibanez or Fender was going to stretch my finances, but I did have an XBox that was gathering dust, with some games, so I decided to look for people willing to trade.

I located a guy who traded me a Squier MB-5, straight up, for my XBox.
    About a week later, my wife surprised me with a used Peavey Max 158 combo amp.

I've been plugging away at the "Learn to Play Bass Guitar" book by Phil Capone, and I've been watching Flea's YouTube videos he uploaded for Fleabass, and been working on my finger work with the chromatic scale.

I never realized how tight my left hand is.
    I also never realized how big my fingers, in general, are.

I am working on playing a finger picking style, but I just ordered some bass guitar picks from Amazon, and am also going to give pick work a try, and determine which I find more comfortable.

All the bass players I've grown up, and still love today are a variety of finger pickers (Flea, Frank Bello, Fieldy) and pick players (Nate Mendel, Steve Harris), so I'm not trying to emulate anyone, I just to need to work harder on not plucking more than one string!

Sorry I got so long winded.
    I'll be posting regularly, and will upload a pic of my bass soon.

From what I can tell, from what little info I found online about the Squier MB-5 bass guitars, I got the better deal in the trade, and I haven't seen anyone speak poorly of the MB-5 guitars.

Anyway, hi everyone, and I'll be posting again, real soon!

Aaron

2. Weclome man! Tons of great information here from all over the globe. Using the search button will get you tons of answers to common questions as well as the FAQ at the top of the sections.

Glad you here and have fun!

3. Trayster2

Trayster2

Aug 13, 2012
    Palm Coast, FL
    Hi Aaron,
    I loved reading your post because I am a 45 y/o female who just started playing this past week too. For me, it's something I've always wanted to do and just didn't have the time to do. I also thought others may think that taking music lessons was for kids. Ironically, I got that type of reception in one of the local music stores I went into and left there pretty discouraged. But then my dinner date was late and I went into another tiny music store I'd never heard of before and they were awesome. Plus, the very bass I had heard would be great to learn on was for sale (used) in my favorite color. The guy there gave me a half hour demonstration and even sat me down to teach me "Smoke on the Water." I knew it was fate! I bought the bass the next morning and signed up for lessons. My first lesson was this past Tuesday, and the guy who gives me lessons told me he's had beginning clients in their 70's and 80's. You're never too old to learn something new, and I should already know this being a teacher. I have practiced every day for a half hour or more so far.

Aaron, I think that older beginners will just be that much more driven to learn the bass well and make up for lost time. I'm so glad you and other older beginners post on here. Please continue to update us on your progress. Good luck to you!

Tracy

4. somdbass

somdbass

Jan 2, 2012
    That was me six years ago - I had never played an instrument in my life and wanted another failed hobby...now six years later I'm in two bands, own five basses and can't stop playing...loving every minute of it...

5. Bengals0225

Bengals0225

Aug 25, 2012
    Thanks everyone.
    Those have to be the nicest words I've ever seen on a message board forum, and I am/ was in a ton of them from gaming, to pro sports discussions.

@ Tracy; I am planning on trying to fit some real lessons in, as I can, cause I feel a real instructor will probably be able to give me those pointers I'm missing, while watching me play!

@ Waterpilot
    Trust me, I plan on absorbing as much info as I can, because just reading last night, I found I know so very little about this incredible instrument

@somdbas
    Thanks! While I'm certainly not delusional in thinking I'll audition for some big time act, and be on stage at Madison Square Garden someday (is that still a musicians dream?, or did I just show my age in a bad way? ha ha ha ha) I would like to eventually get together with a jam band/ garage band and just have some fun, so I'm definitely looking forward to that!

6. seang15

seang15

Aug 28, 2008
    Cary NC
    Best of luck in your endeavors!

Some real good news about Steve Harris: he is one of the best FINGER players out there!

Enjoy your pursuit,
    Sean

7. theduke1

theduke1 Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Manitowoc WI
    Learn your scales and play from your heart, anyone can play the notes, but can you play off the page?
    Best of luck Aaron
    Mike

vasilio likes this.