Brandi Disterheft with the Laila Biali Trio

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by Aaron Saunders, Apr 3, 2005.

1. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Has anyone seen this group? I had the pleasure of catching their show today at the Kingston Library today. Their usual drummer wasn't able to be there so they had a sub who worked very well with the band.

Anyway, from the first notes, I've gotta say this girl blew me away. She's fantastic, and from what I know, is pretty young (same/similar age as Laila, so around 23.) She constantly and continually had good tone, tasteful walking, and great, grooving solos using the full range of the instrument (does anyone else get tired of people who just stay up in thumb position the whole time?!). AWESOME melodic concept, and just an incredible interplay between her, Laila, and the drummer Mark. It defintely sounded like Laila and Brandi had listened to Sunday at the Village Vanguard on more than one occasion. Definitely a great show and a group (and bassist) worthy of checking out.

EDIT: Other places to check her out include on her quartet CD and a CD with sax player Peter Van Huffel. Give google a quick search for these.
  2. Brian K

Brian K Supporting Member

May 21, 2004
    Toronto, ON
    Laila and Brandi are friends of mine; I've seen them play many times, in a variety of settings. They both always impress. Two very fine musicians indeed.