Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Brands/Models that handle lower frequencies

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Brendan, Jan 3, 2002.

1. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Hey hey. Not really a regular in these here parts, but maybe you guys can help me.

I play a a five and a BEAD 4, both are drop tuned, to ADGCF, and CGCF. Which makes most effects pedal crap out at the lower frequencies. Heck, a lot of pedals don't do well in standard tuning, let alone lower tunings like I use.

So I'm asking, what (if this sort of thing is known) Brands of pedals, i.e. Boss, EH, ect. have the capacity to handle lower frequencies well? I'm particularly interested in a decent setup, with a wide range of things. I guess this is kinda a hard question, but I'm looking at a lot of stuff, in the eventual. Like a Wah, Synth, Chorus, Distortion, Delay, ect. Is there any knowledge of what brands handle lower frequencies better? Or is it a more pedal to pedal thing, where I gotta ask idivual models and makes on the above effects (Which then becomes a whole nother mess...)?

This sorta thing known? Thanks.

2. I know how you feel, I drop tune allot too. I've found that allot of pedals do give up on lower frequencies, I.E. the newer boss pedals or the DOD effects. I've had allot of luck with my EH Bass Micro Synth which has amaizing tracking down to the low notes. When I dropped down to G (.145 got expensive) it still kept it's cool! The Line6 stomp box modulars have an impressive headroom actually the DL4 I have really tracks the low notes and the MM4 handles lows quite nicely, making adding chorus and flange effects easy.

There are plenty of pedals out there that handle lows very well but their mostly expensive and wiegh a good 5-10lbs each. Sounds fun huh? The best advice I can give you is go with your own taste and play the field. Not just going for bass effects I've had allot of luck with guitar, dj and studio equipment. Try as many effects as you can, ask a friend if you can plug into their pedal board of bug the people at a local musical instrument store...

3. I think the problem lies more in fact that you use effects with low notes, as opposed to the effects capability to pass on low frequencies. The lower the notes, the less useful effects become.

Especially distortion. I have tried dozens of distortion types, and all of them (yes all) drown the low frequencies. It's just a side effect of distortion itself. You can't distort very low frequencies very hard.

Another example: phasing. Phasing is a delay like effect. In order to phase low frequencies, the delay has to be quite long, which may be long enough to sound like an echo at higher frequencies.

The speaker cabs are also a problem. There simply is no commercial bass rig that can faithfully reproduce frequencies below 40 Hz.

4. Gopher Bob

Gopher Bob

Nov 24, 2001
    Florida
    My EH BassBalls tracks down to my low b string very well, at least compared to my 105Q bass wah etc IMNO. I havn't tried it in any drop tuning i.e GCGCF but i soon will.

5. jufros

jufros

Nov 24, 2008
    The MXR Blowtorch handles lows just fine. If you cut the highs, boost the lows, and cut the mids with the switch at 800... it's pretty thunderous. But you can get a tight midrange sound just as easily. Definitely one of the best and definitely the most flexible pedal for the money i own.

6. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Awesome. I'm sure that he was waiting the past seven and a half years just to hear that answer.