1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Brands that offer a .120 B

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by pablomigraine, Jan 26, 2012.

1. pablomigraine

pablomigraine Commercial User

Feb 9, 2005
    New York
    VP & Managing Director - Willcox Basses
    Search didn't turn up much..... other than CircleK Strings who offer .120 B-string? Pref hex core?

Thanks!

2. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

Mar 26, 2006
    CHI/NWI
    DR Lo-Rider Stainless for sure. I have some in my possession.

3. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
  4. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
  5. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    Lots!

Hex-Core:

D'Addario - XL Nickel & ProSteels
    Dean Markley - Nickel Steel / Blue Steel / Nickel Plated Steel Blue Steel / SR2000 (Tapered) / Solid Bass

DR - Lo-Rider / Nickel Lo-Rider

Dunlop - Stainless & Nickel Plated Steel

GHS - Bass Boomers / Super Steels / Contact Core Super Steels (well its a .123 but close enough for jazz)

Ken Smith - Stainless Steel / Nickel Plated Steel / Both Full Wound & Tapered

Rotosound - Stainless Steel Swing Bass 66

I'm sure there are a few more but those are the most "common" names that I can think of off the top of my head...

:D

6. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    BTW, when I'm forced to play a 5, I always use a .120 B, so I support this quest. Started with a .130, then went to .125, and I thought they both sounded stiff and stilted and not so musical sounding. The .120 just works for me. Well, it does if I would ever play a 5 again...I only play it at gunpoint ;)

7. I don't think I could ever play a low B that was smaller than .135. Way too floppy.

.142 is more like it. :D

8. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    A lot of it has to do with the instrument... I have a 6 string I run a .120 on and its just as responsive as a .135 on another...

Although, keep in mind a lot of users use a .120 as a "C" string on alternately tuned instruments...

9. tylerwylie

tylerwylie

Jan 5, 2008
    Dunwoody, GA
    I'm using a .120 Fodera round core B string and it's better than say, a .130 D'Addario hex core B string.

10. Sure, the .120 can be just as "responsive", but I honestly think it's just too loose. For me it's not an issue of tone, but of playability.

I need at least 35 pounds of tension in order to be comfortable playing a string finger-style. My preference is closer to 45 pounds.

On a 34" scale bass, that means at least .135, with .140 being optimal.

With a Dingwall on the other hand, I'd be perfectly fine with a .120 for the B. Although I'd still probably go .130.

11. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I can put up with the tension being looser. I use extra lights anyway...40-95.

12. klokker

klokker

Jan 7, 2009
    Steele City, NE
    I agree. Thomastik Infeld Powerbass strings are .119 on the b string. I doubt I'll go back to the .130's again. My G&L is a 34" scale and its not loose at all.

13. Well of course some strings are more stiff than others. D'Addario aren't exactly the tightest.

14. pablomigraine

pablomigraine Commercial User

Feb 9, 2005
    New York
    VP & Managing Director - Willcox Basses
    Here's the deal guys.... owing to 70% or more of my bass playing carreer being devoted to Metal and the appertaining tendency to down-tune... I've gotten used to the feeling of a string .10 too lite for the pitch it's tuned to... and it's integral to my playing style..... for big heay unison runs, or funky up-front playing, I anchor at the neck pickup and use an aggressive attack to get some snap off the fretboard (a la Steve Harris, Alex Webster etc...) for smooth jazz playing and progressive metal I anchor to the bridge pickup and use a light attack and get a great sound with no slap or buzz....

Thanks very much to al who recommended bass strings online. I get a deal on Fender strings, and I was able to order a dozen low .120 B strings to go with my regular fender lite 4 string sets I order by the box... so that works out really well. Thanks guys!

15. Ah, now that makes sense. I try to eliminate any fret clank from my tone. But I know that's important for metal, and a lower gauge will make that a lot easier to achieve. Glad you found your answer then. :)