Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Brands that you like.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jiant., Jul 16, 2005.

1. jiant.

jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    Any certain brands of amps/cabs that you guys like, or are partial to? I personally am a big fan of Eden amps(I am now anyway) and Ampeg cabs. I was just curious about this.

2. dcr

dcr Supporting Member

Lotsa Schroeder fans here.....

dcr

3. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Yup. I do like me some Schroeder.

There are more brands I don't like than ones I do...

And, I like some company's heads but not their cabs and vice versa.

On stage, I can make almost anything fit with a bit of work.

4. vacman

vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    I like a little G-K when I'm feeling mellow and for when its time to start pulling off those Iced Earth covers I reach for an SVT with a fridge opps! I mean an 8-10. But as a whole I tend to agree with the above mentioned statement that there are some heads I like from some companys and some cabs and visa-versa.

5. Keeaumoku

Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    I'm very happy with my Ashdown head... :hyper: ...but I'm totally captivated by my Marshall VBA400... :eek:

I'm a big-time Bergantino fan, but I also have an Eden D410XLT cabinet. Depending on my gig, I use one or the other with my Ashdown. However... every now and then, I get to use the Marshall, and that's when I hook-up both cabinets! :eek: I cannot put into words the sound that eminates from that set-up. I need a poet!

Aloha... :cool:

6. Iruleonbass

Iruleonbass

May 29, 2005
    New York
    Im most likely getting an Ampeg SVT-CL and SVT-810 tommorow. :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

And I also love the walkabout scout from mesa boogie. SWR Stuff is ok too. Those are my main three amp brands I like alot.

Ampeg is just dirty, and mesa's walkabout is clean.

7. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Those VBA400s are smoking heads. One day I migh pick one up. I'm content with my rigs for now though.

-Ray

Edit: to answer, I'm partial to Sunn cabs right now, and my Peavey head. Ashdowns I like, and Edens I think are OK. Ampegs I think are alright in some situations, and ass in others... I'll play anything though, and can almost always get my sound from whatever it is I'm rockin'...

8. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    A lot depends on musical preference.

With me... the range is SO wide. I've just begun to surround myself with equipment that I enjoy.... but my future plans are to use my V4B for the heavier music I play and enjoy.

However, I also have a side that LOVES the hi-fi tones, as well as the bands that use that tone. Chili Peppers, 311, etc. To satisfy that, in the future I plan to pick up an SWR head and an 8x8. It might be many years from now, but I'm sure I'll get to it.

As for specific brand loyalty... I do own a lot of Ampeg gear, but I have to say I'm not a huge fan of Ampegs modern Mosfet stuff. Its not too horrible, but I have to say its a regression.

I'm more concerned with trying EVERY friggon tube amp I can get my hands on. Orange, Trace, Peavey... I'm really going to hunt for a giant tube head that I can hopefully show off someday. :D

9. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Ashdown and Avatar, just because I have them. But I like most others.
    Ones I hate: Behringer, Hartke.

10. personally i hate trace elliot...

hahaha. no, i can never say that seriously.

mmmm trace.. <3 :) :)

11. Well I have a mesa boogie 2x15 and an m-2000 head that sounds excellent and a peavey firebass 700II with a tvx 4x12 that also sounds great depending on what you are playing and A sunn 350B with 2 2x15 Cabs it is just incredible . And then the old 60's Kustom 100 watt head with 2 2x15 cabs. I really want to try out a schroeder 1212 cab with a seperate power amp/pre amp.

What I don't like Berringer, Most Hartke and Rogue. :bassist:

12. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    GK, love the new RB-II series heads. I like the sound of the SVT4Pro through the right cabs, but am not a huge fan of other Ampeg stuff.

Really like old Hartke gear, I miss my old 7000/4.5/115XL fullstack, but the newer stuff doesn't quite cut it the same way.

13. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I am partial to......

Epifani amps and cabs
    EA amps and cabs
    Eden amps and cabs

-Mike

14. ebladeboi123

ebladeboi123

Jul 11, 2005
    Oberlin, Oh
    Eden cabs, and heads (own a cab :tup: )
    GK 800RB and up (400 and 700 aren't for me)- own one as well
    Ampeg only heads

Brands i despise:
    Newer Mesa Boogie's, cost a crapload, and don't play half as nice as an Eden or a ampeg stack. And can cost twice as much.

15. Orange and Mesa... Mesas are the finest amps on the planet IMO. now if i could only afford anything mesa....

16. Of the gear I've tried I've been really impressed by Mesa Boogie, Genz Benz. I don't mind SWR, Hartke. I've disliked all the Ampegs i've tried though

17. Yamaha
    EBS
    Epifani
    Gallien Krueger

But I don't like Hartke.

18. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Ok, this thread asked what we DO like. Not what we DON'T like. Let's try keep it like that to stop bashing :p

I love:
    Trace Elliot V8's ;)
    Pretty much anything Eden
    SWR cabinets
    Mesa/Boogie, especially diesel stuff and the BB750!
    Forgot to put Ashdown, Evo 500 = yum central.

Stuff I hope I love:
    Schroeder 410 when it get's here
    Bergantino 215 whenever I get one.

19. Ampeg and Peavey amps, peavey cabs too, still need to try a few 'peg cabs

20. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    Amps:
    Sunn
    Trace
    Acoustic