Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by Phee, Apr 13, 2001.

1. Phee

Jan 2, 2001
    i just recently started playing with arco in my school orchestra, but i've been playing pizz. in my school jazz band for a couple of months. any tips on what brand rosin i should buy?
  2. I've tried many, but I always come back to either Nyman or Carlssohn (they are actually made by the same guy and are identical in formula). It is the only one that has the grip I like.
  3. Everyone has their own idea on what is best, but I won't go intp that. Here are some names you can't go wrong with, though:
    Kolstein ($10.00) Carlsson's ($9.25) Nyman's (9.00)
    are all good bets, but if your'e strapped for cash Pop's ($6.00) is also good, but very sticky. Be very careful where you leave it, though. In warm weather they all tend to melt into a gooey mess.
    BTW, these prices are all from Lemur Music. They
    may be slightly cheaper at Quinn Violins.
  4. At a concert of the Minnesota orchestra yesterday, I noticed that six of the eight bass players used Popps rosin. I have used both Popps and Nyman and I prefer Popps, not for the price but for the bite. Nyman tends to be stickier causing me to have to use more force to start a note.

The effectiveness of the rosin that you use is affected by the relative humidity in the room. I warm the rosin with my breath before applying it. This gives me the right application of rosin and bite of the bow on the strings.
  5. Well maybe that's where you're having trouble. Nyman IS stickier so it works much better when you DON'T apply too much force to get the string started. Just relax your arm weight on the string and push the bow back and forth and it should start with the minimum effort. I use Nyman because it does have the stickiest grip - that way I can really back off and the sound just comes jumping out of the bass. The best way to choke the sound of a bass is to apply too much force.

Regarding the use of Pops in the Minnesota Symphony, I can't say for sure in their case, but I do know many players in the Toronto area who happen to carry their Nyman or Carlsson around in old Pops containers since sometimes the Swedish rosin is sold without a plastic container. So just because you see a red rosin case from a distance, there's no guarantee there's actually Pops inside (although there very well could be).
  6. Rob,

Good point about the plastic case. The Nyman that I bought last year came in a plastic case. The one the year before didn't. I know several of the bass players in the Minnesota Orchestra and they do use Popps for the reason I stated. My son's teacher is a TA at U of M and she prefers Nyman. Each to their own.
  7. Phee

Jan 2, 2001
    thanks for the advice
  8. George F. Schmidtt

George F. Schmidtt

Dec 21, 1999
    Anyone know who makes the rosin sold under the Pollmann label? I know it's not Petz but it could be either Carlssons or Nyman's. Personally I use Gustave Bernadel cello rosin on my French bow when I play bass with my chamber groups but then, I'm mostly playing the cello part (at cello pitch) anyway.
  9. the first rosin i used when i started playing was just cello stuff. i then started using pops which i liked but i found it melted a lot and sometimes ripped out hairs if i wasnt careful.i find cello rosin is pretty good for biggish orchestra playing as some brands give a brasher tone than some bass rosin. u have recently started using nyman and its pretty good. it depends on the bass you are playing though. it works well on my own bass which cost about £1000 and has just had its bridge lowered and reshaped the bass i use in my orchestra though cost about £3000, the strings are far too high and the nyman just doesnt work so well. i found the pops better on it.

it just goes to show that every instrument is individual and that paying a lot of money doesnt neccessarily mean you are getting the best instrument!