Brass block under bridge?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SnakeAnthony, Feb 3, 2006.

1. Ok, first off let me say that this may well be placed in the wrong thread. It could be better for electronics or something else, but I'm not sure, so I put it here. Mods, feel free to move it if nessicary.

Ok, I read something the other day that said the Yamaha SG2000 guitar (SG syle copy) had a brass block placed under the bridge for added mass and sustain. How well would this work on bass? Would it mess with your electronics at all? What about with a piezo bridge?
  2. XmattX

Nov 25, 2005
    Photographer, Warwick GmbH & Co Music Equipment KG
    Alembic has used brass sustain bloacks in its high end models for a long time. It does exactly what the name says, provide extra sustain by means of more weight and better transfer of vibrations to the body. I don't think the block would be any problem for electronics or piezo bridges.
  3. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Most Curbows also have brass sustain blocks under the bridge. It has no effect on electronics or piezo pickups--both work just fine on my Curbow 6.

4. kelbrihan

kelbrihan Banned [Deceiving users with multiple usernames] Banned

Dec 2, 2004
    I had an old 70's P bass that someone had modded out and it had a brass bridge with a seperate brass block under the bridge and a brass plates in the back and brass bolts that went through the bridge and bolted to the back plate. Very solid but added weight.:eek:
  5. BSR6P-Bob

Apr 5, 2005
    Actually Alembics idea of the brass sustain block was to decouple the strings from the body, partially accomplished with the "neck thru" capillary design of the bass.

As per Ron Wickersham they wanted a close to ideal terminating platform for the strings. So that most of the sound was your fingers, the strings and the electronics with minimum interference from the woods. That's part of the reason the Alembics (Meaning Series I's and II's) sound different than anything else out there.

I believe (the fast becoming infamous) Rick Turner had a lot to do with the execution of this design.
  6. bigbajo60

Nov 7, 2003
    Laredo, Texas
    My early 80's Yamaha BB1200 bass has a brass block installed under the bridge.

Since you're talking about a guitar, maybe it was an across the board methodology that Yamaha employed back then?
  7. fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    No, it won't mess with you'eelectronics or a piezo bridge, provided it's installed correctly to begin with. I thought about putting a sustain block in one of my basses. I even bought a suitable piece of brass off eBay. I never got around to it, though, and I eventually sold the bass. Now I'm thinking about putting it in one of my guitars. This is more of a 'feel' issue, though, as my experience with high mass bridges was that they don't make much difference in regard to sustain or tone.
  8. Thanks for the info guys. I'll probably include a brass block on a bass, eventually, if nothing else just to try it out. My dad and I are gonna start building our first bass soon, so maybe I'll try it on whatever we build...