Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Brass Fret cleaner??

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by InfinityJaco, Aug 5, 2002.

1. InfinityJaco

InfinityJaco

Jun 5, 2001
    Illinois
    Hi,
    I own a Warwick Infinity LTD 2000 that is a little over a year old. When i take off the strings I clean the fretboard with Kyser Dr. Stringfellow Fret Board Conditioner (lemon oil). I've noticed lately that the brass frets are very dull. Is there any type of brass fret cleaner on the market or any ways of brightening the frets up again??
    Thanks!
    Chris

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    You can always use 0000-type steel wool.

3. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA

That's how I have always done it. I use masking tape to mask each fret and then I can polish it out easily.

The tape is time consuming, but I would rather do that than have to be ultra careful to avoid rub marks on either side of the frets.

Chas

4. damn, and i was using a swifer

5. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Or ScotchBrite

6. Pharmecopia

Pharmecopia

Jul 31, 2002
    okay, im probably an idiot, but what the hell is that? i have a warwick thumb, and id like to keep my frets nice and shiny as well. what is that stuff, where can i get some, and how do i clean it? it wont damage the fretboard will it? thanks.

7. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    0000 Steel wool can be found at your corner hardware store. I like to use Mothers' Aluminum wheel cleaner on my Warwick. I put it on each fret with a cotton swab, wait a minute or two, then wipe it clean. You can find it at AutoZone or other car part stores. If you are particularly jittery, Stewart Macdonald offers a guard you can place around the fret to keep your fingerboard safe.

8. Try to go with a Scotch-Brite pad.

Fine Steel Wool dust gravitates to the magnetic pick-up.

If using Steel Wool mask off the pick-up well with de-tacked masking tape (or "blue" masking tape) and completely remove all dust when finished before taking off the mask job.

Because the masking ritual is so much hassle, I use
    a the Scotch pad on my Warwick brass frets to shine them up. Use whenever you change strings for
    bright & shiney frets.

9. Pharmecopia

Pharmecopia

Jul 31, 2002
    thanks.

10. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Definitely an issue...but, if you properly cover your pickups, you won't have a problem.

11. Pharmecopia

Pharmecopia

Jul 31, 2002
    can i get that scotch brite pad at a hardware store?

12. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.

Yes. Or most grocery stores.

Pkr2

13. what about cymbal cleaner?

14. Pharmecopia

Pharmecopia

Jul 31, 2002
    thanks.