1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Brass inserts for P Bass pickup and bridge covers

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Jrspencer74 j, Mar 18, 2017.

1. Jrspencer74 j

Jrspencer74 j

Mar 18, 2017
    Hey... I just got a 62 reissue and had an idea of finding brass inserts for the screws that affix the bridge and pickup covers to allow easy removal and reinstallation. I figured someone smarter than me has already done this... any advice? I'm looking for sources for the inserts and screws and size recommendations.

Let's thanks it for granted that many players would say "why bother" with the covers. I dig them for the vintage vibe.

2. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Emeryville, Ca
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    What's easier than a Phillips screwdriver?

3. farace

farace

Jul 9, 2016
    Connecticut USA
    Kind of like this? 1963 Ampeg by Burns of London Vista Sonic Bass.

IMG_0566.JPG IMG_0567.JPG

4. Jrspencer74 j

Jrspencer74 j

Mar 18, 2017
    Yes... I was even thinking of thumbscrews just like that.

5. farace

farace

Jul 9, 2016
    Connecticut USA
    My feeling is that it may not be worth the trouble drilling and installing the inserts unless you're someone that replaces your strings quite frequently. I'm someone that often measures string life in decades (or at least years), so using a screwdriver so infrequently to remove the covers from my Precision is not an issue for me. If, on the other hand, you're changing strings every week, I can see the appeal.

6. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    It's really not that difficult if you have a drill press, especially one with a reversible motor.
    1. Use a punch to locate your holes
    2. Start with a small pilot hole then move up to the final size
    3. With the drill in reverse (on low speed if it's adjustable), start drilling the hole with light pressure until you're just through the finish
    4. Switch the drill to forward and drill the hole to the appropriate depth
    5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 with the proper size drill bit for the final hole
    6. Use a 45 degree countersink bit and twist it by hand to champfer the inside edge of the hole. This will keep the finish from cracking when you press in the threaded insert.
    7. Use the drill press as a press (meaning don't turn it on) to press the threaded insert into the hole. You'll need to put something in the chuck that's the same diameter as the insert

You can do this with a reversible hand drill as well but it's not easy to keep the drill perfectly straight.

Chasarms likes this.
  7. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Emeryville, Ca
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    Drill pilot hole, insert screw & turn...

Axstar and 96tbird like this.
  8. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Halethorpe, MD
    I'd be more inclined to just harden the wood screw threads with some CA rather than inserts.
    You could also use tele covers instead of P covers, then there isn't any need to take the covers off when changing strings.

96tbird likes this.
  9. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    They also make them that are threaded in rather than pressed.