Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Brass inserts

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by JP Basses, Dec 5, 2002.

1. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    Hi,

I was wondering where I could order those little brass inserts and screws used to hold pickups or control covers...

Matt, I think that you use them...

Peace, JP

2. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Hey JP. I use steel hex-drive inserts. I found that the brass ones were too easy to break.

I have the luxury of buying them at the local hardware store. At one point, I searched the web for a place I could buy them bulk and the savings (for me) was minimal. I searched on Google, and the string I used was "hex drive threaded insert", I believe. It took a little hunting.

3. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    Ok, Thanks a lot Matt.

I'll search on google and I'll check my local store to see if I can find some. I thought those inserts were a guitar supply thing...

JP

4. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    In the US, these are easily available through industrial suppliers such as McMaster-Carr and MSC Industrial Supply, as well as fastener companies such as Fastenal. I haven't any idea whether they do international business, though. Bonne chance.

(edit: spelling)

5. msherman

msherman

Nov 20, 2002
    Connecticut, USA
    There is a Company called Metal Threads Inc. located in Franklin Park Illinois that makes these inserts in a 440 thread. I`m not sure if they have a website.

Mike

6. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    Thanks guys.

I found what I wanted. Just need to check if it's ok for international orders...

JP

7. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
  8. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    JP, slow down for a sec!
    You just might want to scout the french market!

The ones I get are french made, brass, steel and aluminium available. Local source could be both cheaper and more conveniant.
    I just can't find that name....I'll try to make another effort tonight.

9. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    Hey Suburban,

No problem...
    I'm in fact researching local before ordering international. There's a great hardware shop here in Paris called "Weber Métaux" and I think I'll have a chance to visit them next saturday to see if they have the right inserts.

Anyway, I'm still interested in the name of the ones your using if you can find it...

Peace, JP

10. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Desolé, JP....can't find the actual source, only the trade names: Ensat for tool demanding inserts, and Rampa for screwdriver/allen driver inserts.

Good luck!