1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Brass neck plates?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gigslut, Jun 9, 2012.

1. gigslut

gigslut

Dec 13, 2011
    St Louis, Mo
    Any one tried them? I know the high mass hardware was more of a '70's thing, but I'm building a '57 P and thought aesthetically it would complement the anodized pick guard. Has anyone used these that can comment on the effect one would have on tone/sustain? Any other pros/cons?

57Pbassbuild02.JPG

57Pbassbuild03.JPG

2. Darnell Jones

Darnell Jones Inactive

Aug 29, 2011
    You should stop there and use it if you like the look.
    It will make the bass sound more brassy, but only if you can see it. So it will sound normal except when you play with your teeth and the backside is exposed to the audience. (my apologies to the what's the best flavor of kool-aid for metal crowd for the blatant mockery)

3. bolophonic

bolophonic Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    No, but I would probably buy one. Where are you getting yours from?

4. gigslut

gigslut

Dec 13, 2011
    St Louis, Mo
    There is a seller on eBay with some.

5. "Find a hole --- fill it"

Unfortunately, there ain't no hole.

6. bolophonic

bolophonic Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    A solid brass neck plate would look nice with the brass bridge I have on standby for my next project. I would not anticipate tone differences.

7. gigslut

gigslut

Dec 13, 2011
    St Louis, Mo
    A drummer friend swears by his chrome over brass Slingerland stick saver hoops. He gave me a demonstration of the difference they make on drums. The neck plate is undoubtedly a much smaller part of the tonal equation on a bass, but I imagine a good bit of energy goes through the neck joint, and the plate is coupled to both the neck and body.
    I'm going to stick with a traditional plate for now so I can spend a little extra on a Nordstrand NP4 pickup. I think I'll hear a bigger difference there.

8. Jim C

Jim C I believe in the trilogy; Fender, Stingray, + G&L Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    They say that using threaded inserts and machine screws makes a difference in tone; some don't like it. It is highly unlikely that you would hear a real difference; for total trickness get the plate fab'd from 6061T aluminum alloy and have it annodized like the pick guard. I'd get the brass if I didn't like nickel or chrome.

Drummers hitting metal with wood sticks as a reference point?
    Really??
    I could never get the exact sound on tape as a Black Beauty Ludwig snare; solid brass shell with a black annodized finish.
    Why not brass strings with some sort of magnetic coating?

9. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

Brass neck plates for tone. The TB brain trust.

10. I have a '65 6 piece Slingerland drum kit and I like my COB rims, but . . .

The tonal difference is all about stiffness which has as much to do with construction as material. That's why die cast Gretsch hoops tune so easily.

Hopefully he wasn't talking about rim shots for which the rim material makes a bigger difference but which has little to do with brass in any other application.

11. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    I can vouch for brass drum hoops but you are whacking them with sticks. On the other hand I have a couple of basses with brass bridges and I'm hard pressed to find any but imaginary tonal differences. And on the third hand I am a fan of threaded inserts for necks and tests here in TB with sound clips have proved they make a difference (and I can feel it too) for cheap basses, but they don't seem to change the neck joint at all if it's already done right as in an expensive bass.

So is there any tone difference between a steel plate, a brass neck plate and simple screw ferrules in a neck joint? I sure haven't heard any! Seems to me it's all about LOOKS. Which is OK. Looks do count for something.