1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Brass nut: How much space to leave on the sides?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by fretlessman71, Jun 30, 2013.

1. I am replacing a nut and want to buy as much width at the nut as possible. I've broken plastic and bone nuts before at the low and high string slot, so I will go with brass (I have steel frets, so I'm not worried it will be too bright).

How much space can I get away with leaving on the outside of the nut (e.g., between the E string slot and the edge)? I figure since it's brass and much more difficult to break I can get pretty close...?

2. I think 1/8 inch is about normal. Just because I follow that taper all the way down the neck. With a metal nut you could could get a couple millimeters closer. I place the lowest string a little closer to the edge than the highest string...hope this helps!

3. So 1/16" clearance on either side would be pushing it, even for a brass nut that won't break?

4. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings

Dec 12, 2006
    NY & MA
    If you want to file the nut slot for the E and G strings, and leave about 1/16" from the edge of the slot to the edge of the nut, you'll be fine as far as the brass nut is concerned. However, you might find that the E and G strings now ride a bit too close to the edge of the fretboard.

5. That's cool - the guy who installed my steel frets left the shoulders quite proud. (I think he was tired of filing them. ;) ) Thanks for the help guys!