1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Brass nut on a '73 P-bass: stock?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassman_al, Mar 24, 2009.

1. bassman_al

bassman_al Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Fairfax, VA USA
    Someone asked me recently about the brass nut on my '73 P-bass. I have no idea if it was stock on those models. Anyone know? Thanks.

2. Groover

Groover

Jun 28, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    No, not stock.

3. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    Nope. There hasn't been a 'standard' American Precision that had a stock brass nut.

4. bassman_al

Apr 16, 2008
    Fairfax, VA USA
    so how might that affect the value of the instrument? All this time I thought I had a stock '73. Wonder what else has been modded. The frets look like brass too...

5. Groover

Groover

Jun 28, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    You may want to search for vintage fender basses online or even eBay. Many sellers will take the instruments apart on eBay to show what is authentic and what is not. You can look at yours and compare.

The frets are brass (a different type though than what your nut may be), so those would be correct most likely.

If you post some pics here, most of the vintage fender fans will help you narrow it down pretty accurately.

6. bassman_al

Apr 16, 2008
    Fairfax, VA USA
    Good idea, thanks!

7. xsubs

xsubs Working Class Hero Supporting Member

Jul 15, 2007
    NYC & Corcaigh, √Čire
    Endorsing Artist: Hiwatt Amplification & Rotosound Strings
    Fender frets are not brass. They are "nickel/silver". They really don't have silver, but are brass and nickel. The nickel component (usually 18%) gives the alloy a "silver" colour.

8. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    No brass nuts on a '73, heaven forfend. However, a good replacement, bone or stock plastic should not harm the value of your instrument.

9. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    Putting brass nuts on instruments was such a hip thing in the late '70s and early '80s, I'm surprised there aren't MORE of them with that particular and pointless "upgrade"...

Fender released a whole pile of aftermarket brass parts around the time they put out the Precsion Bass Special (brass hardware, two-band active EQ, white PUP covers) and the super Stratocaster guitar they called "The Strat". But they didn't ship instrumetns with brass nuts, and certainly not in 1973. But because nuts are expendable, and they're very seldom cut correctly (even less likely in the '70s) a brass nut isn't a big deal if you're looking at "collectiblity" of the bass.

jte

10. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    +1

They were all the rage until someone sorted out that they kinda kill tone... Brass bridges were hot (and still are, somewhat)

Nothing as good as bone, really. Sometimes the first ideas *are* the best ideas.

11. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Don't worry about it.
    It seems no two '73 P basses sell for the exact same price anyway, so what's the exact value? Doesn't matter....