1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Brass nut question

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by mesaplayer83, Feb 27, 2018.

Tags:
  1. mesaplayer83

mesaplayer83

Jun 27, 2017
    I'm getting ready to install a brass nut on a Spector Legend Custom, and was wondering what adhesive people would recommend for this? Here's the headstock:

2. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Just a little drop of SuperGlue or other brand equivalent. You want just enough to hold it in place, but still be able to remove it with not too much effort, should you ever have to remove it.

3. mesaplayer83

mesaplayer83

Jun 27, 2017
    That's what I've always done, but I've never installed brass before, so I thought I would ask... Also, this particular nut doesn't sit in a slot like any other I've installed, it kind of butts up against the end of the fretboard and the top of the headstock... I don't know if you can tell by the pic, but that's the situation...

4. Slater

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    The truss rod access cover should help hold it in place as well.

5. mesaplayer83

mesaplayer83

Jun 27, 2017
    Not really

6. Slater

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Some butt up against the nut, some don’t.

saabfender, gebass6 and JRA like this.
  7. Super Glue, just a drop, is good. I’ve also seen Testors model cement in the orange tube used on plastic or bone. Not sure if it would work on brass.

saabfender likes this.
  8. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

actually, almost any glue you'd use around the house will work: the idea is to hold the nut in place until the strings are tuned + the least amount of that particular glue type to do it.

saabfender and Paulabass like this.
  9. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music.

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    I let the string tension hold it down.
    Otherwise it's completely loose.

saabfender and Brother Goose like this.
  10. Arie X

Arie X

Oct 19, 2015
    thin layer of titebond original is fine. it just needs to not fall off when all strings are removed.

11. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

A small amount of Super Glue - CA glue.

12. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    And it needs to not shift from side to side under normal conditions - which includes the occasional bump. BTW, why are drummers' cymbals always at the perfect height to inflict damage on bass headstocks? Is it a conspiracy?

mdalamond, saabfender, Geri O and 2 others like this.
  13. Slater

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Yes. I saw a drummer lose his mind when the bass player showed up with a Steinberger. :D

TomB, saabfender and Geri O like this.
  14. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    model cement. I use this stuff; the replacement for Ambroid - the original wood modeler's glue. Just a couple of small drops, preferably between the end of the fretboard and the nut is all you need. Yes, it will work on brass; it's what's been holding the brass nut on my Rick 4001 for... a long time, now. This kind of glue dries "Brittle"; it will hold fine until you give it a fairly light tap. Then it usually breaks cleanly, without pulling any wood with it; unless it's a balsa wood model... Cleans off stuff pretty easily, too...:thumbsup:

mesaplayer83 likes this.
  15. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    uh, you should get that fixed

mesaplayer83 likes this.
  16. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    never tried that stuff, but i use a little CA for the very same reason. dries hard and brittle for good vibration transfer, breaks loose cleanly with the tap of a small hammer.

mesaplayer83 likes this.
  17. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 4, 2011
    Fillmore, CA
    Professional Luthier
    That brings back memories....Good old Ambroid Cement. I started using it more than 50 years ago on my balsa model airplanes. I think I would order it from SIG. Back when "ordering" meant filling out a paper form with a pencil and putting it in the mail. I used to spend hours drooling over the SIG catalog.

Well, I'll be darned. I just looked up the SIG company, and they are still around. Celebrating 66 years. I'm sure many of us bass builders started out building balsa wood model airplanes.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
  18. mesaplayer83

mesaplayer83

Jun 27, 2017
    I was thinking the same thing, but I'm no expert...

19. mesaplayer83

mesaplayer83

Jun 27, 2017
    Thanks, Walter - you were one of the regulars here I hoped would weigh in...

20. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music.

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    Why?
    The tension of six strings holds it in place.
    Besides,it gets taken off when I periodically dress the fretless fingerboard.
    $_5767.JPG 20170417_161314.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
    James Collins likes this.