1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Brass Nut?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by speigel, Dec 11, 2006.

1. speigel

speigel

Aug 5, 2005
    Somerset, UK
    This may sound like a dumb question, but I'd like an answer before I do something really stoopid. I have a hard plastic (?)nut on my Roberts T'bird. How would the tone be affected if I replaced it with a brass nut?

2. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I doubt that you would notice much difference. If you did you would only be able to hear it on the open strings. That's a whole 4 notes.

3. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    One of my basses has had, in succession, a plastic nut, a brass nut, and now a graphite nut. I have never heard any difference.

4. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    I've played basses with both Brass and Plastic nuts. No noticable difference.

Not a big difference in tone. The biggest difference will be in price.
    I had to get a new nut put in my Spector, its an older bass that I purchased used and whoever had it before me really grinded down the slots.

5. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    Yup - a (maybe ever so slightly) small bit of difference only on open strings. But, if it replacing a bad plastic nut, it could fix some things like a string buzz - but not likely that this is the case. I'd say save your money or spend it elsewhere like on a cool pickguard.