Brass nut ???

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by j3b3r, Dec 6, 2000.

1. j3b3r

Aug 19, 2000
    How's a nut can affect the sound ???

And what makes a brass nut diferrent than other materials ??? How do they sound ???
  2. Brass nuts started to be used by high end builders in the 70's. They thought that the brass would make the open strings sound like the fretted notes, but it never quite worked like that. The best nuts available today are Graphtech. They are a solid lubricant, and proven in testing to be many times more resonant than brass or any other product, which is why many high end acoustic guitar builders use them as standard features on their instruments. I have one on my six string bass, and it's great, sustains forever!
  3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I have two basses with brass nuts, a 70's Tobias and a newer Surine Protocol 7. They both have ridiculous sustain, almost eBow-like. I think Ken Smith may still be doing brass nuts. On the basses I have brass on the sound is very articulate and tight. Bad technique is even more evident on these basses, I doubt it's solely the nut that's responsible, one bass is a Mahogany core/Maple top with Maple neck/ Ebony board and the other is Walnut with Purple Heart.

Brass nut work and contribute to the sound of the bass. The bass' construction will determine the overall sound, along with how you EQ (or don't EQ) it and play it.

There are only a few builders doing zero frets.
  4. My early 90’s Pedulla MVP has a brass nut, but I heard they have now stopped putting them on their newer models unless it’s a special order.
    I guess for them come to this decision would mean that it doesn’t make too much difference to the sound of their basses. Surely it can’t be a cost factor of these hand made intruments.
    Looks better with gold hardware though. :cool:
  5. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    They tend to make different sounds depending how hard they are squeezed, and don't use brass ones ....they fall off in cold weather......(This is an English joke and may be slightly lost on our colonial brethren....)
  6. Doug

Apr 5, 2000
    Buffalo, N.Y.
    I don't get it?!! :confused: ;):D
  7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

It's to do with brass monkeys in cold weather! ;)
  8. j3b3r

Aug 19, 2000
    how about wood nuts ???

what kind of wood will work good for a nut ???
  9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Something hard and dense.

As far as not using something as a cost cutting measure, ever check out what some people charge to "upgrade" from chrome to black or gold parts. The cost to buy the parts may be around $50 but you may get charged $100-$200.

Saving the cost of a brass nut and the time it takes to work it may seem inconsequential but that may well be the reason why it was omitted. It could also be because it's veiwed largely as unneccesary. Easy way to find out...ask Mike:D