Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Brass on my Thumb

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Funk, Feb 15, 2002.

1. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk

Oct 10, 2001
    Virginia
    I just had the graphite nut on my Thumb Bass replaced with a brass adjust-a-nut that was supplied by Dana B. Goods. Also, I had an additional flush mounted strap lock installed to help with the neck dive that is common on this bass. The work was done by Carlos at Ron's Guitars in Groton, CT. He did a great job. The new nut seems to let the open strings resonate a little more and slap a little crisper. The new strap lock made a small improvement in how the bass hangs on my body.
    Oh, by the way, the brass looks much nicer than the graphite. I would recommend that anybody wanting to replace their nut go ahead and do it, but, it must be done by a pro. Never work on your wood by yourself !!!!!:D :D

2. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    wait! you got an old style brass nut from DBG?!?!?!

:eek:

who did you talk to - i MUST get one. i hate the graphite adjust-a-nut 2 because it is a little wider than the fingerboard, and has some sharp edges, so when someone with less than perfect shifting technique (i.e. me) shifts back really fast they get jabbed in the hand! super suck.

i was going to make a solid brass nut, but now maybe i don't have to!

jason

3. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk

Oct 10, 2001
    Virginia
    Jason,

You don't have to make one. The guy that did my work just called them up and ordered it. Its the old adjustable brass nut with the little screws in each slot and it cost abot $30. My E-mail is razzook2@aol.com if you need more info.

Kevin

4. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA

wow - i was under the impression that they were totally out of them.

i had a 98 thumb that had it, and i miss it on my SSII. thanks alot man!

jason

5. dreadhead

dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Europe
    Well, the JUST-A-NUT II is not graphite, it's graphlon (ugly plastic!).
    Besides, the old Warwick had solid-brass bridge. The new ones are made of cheaper ZAMA...:(