Brass P-Bass Covers?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Aussiephoenix, Jun 3, 2005.

1. HI guys, I wanted to get a P-Bass Ashtray type pickup cover, but since my hardware is gold/Brass, I wanted something like that, and not the chrome stuff like this:

I've looked on ebay, stewmacs, musician's friend, etc, cant find anything...

can anyone help me out with info about it?
  2. Lord Fender

Lord Fender

Jun 2, 2005
  3. Most of the original parts like that were chrome plated brass. I know the Jazz control plates were especially. I think part of the reason was that chrome plating is done over a copper base plating and that is easily done over brass. Also, the pre-chrome steps must be done to absolutely perfectly smooth surfaces and brass would be easier to polish to smooth than steel would have been before the copper plating. But that last part is just an educated guess. ;)

So my idea would be to obtain a reasonably priced ashtray or pup cover from, say, the early or mid 70's and have it dechromed (an electrolytic process) or sandblasted to see if they were indeed brass like the flat plates. If it isn then polish it up and clear coat it and you're in business.
  4. Well, after a long search I did have a look at the site that Lord Fender mentioned, and saw those aged pieces, contacted several places, none have been able to help me, so I think Im going to go with Hambone's tip, try to get an older one, strip it down and if needs be, paint it.

Cheers, thanks guys.

This last weekend I REALLY got to try out my fretless full out in a band setting... I took it in because my JB is getting fixed up at the shop and was dreading it as we play heavier music but... that sucker has some GRIIIIIIIIND... I wasnt expecting it at all, but it fires up at high volumes. Really pleased with that!
  5. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma

The Fender Accessory catalog lists gold covers, and it took two months of waiting, but I was able to get a replacement. I have a set of gold ashtrays for my 1982 Precision Special.
    Any Fender dealer should have this catalog and show it to you.
  6. I was told by my local fender dealer that they only make the gold ones for Jazzbass... I'll have to send a mail to fender to find out.
  7. My covers on my '78 are chrome-plated steel. Stripping ain't gonna'd have bare steel, yuck.

Check the covers with a magnet....steel is magnetic, brass isn't.
  8. hmmm, good tip.

either way, I ended up buying one of those chrome plates off ebay since Fender hasnt gotten back to me, and at the price i got it, if I dont like it, I can resell it. I'll check it out.