Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Brass players: Anyone tried a plastic mouthpiece?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by funk_engineer, Apr 9, 2003.

1. I know we have a few brass players on here, so I'd thought I'd ask. Has anyone tried a mouthpiece made of plastic/Lexan or with a plastic rim?

Does this adversely affect tone or the ability to play loud? I was thinking about one for unamplified outdoor use this summer, since I keep wearing through the plating of brass mouthpieces within a single year.

2. BassWizard55

BassWizard55 Guest

Dec 21, 2002
    Rome, Ga
    Holy crap man, that's not normal. By brass mouthpiece do you mean silver plated, I assume you do. I've never heard of a silver plated mouth piece being worn through in one year. I marched with the drum corps last summer and played through last fall's marching season with a helleberg, and it's still a great mouth piece.

But, sorry, I don't have any info about a plastic mouthpiece. Except that Spirit would laugh that thing strait to the garbage can, probably where it belongs.

3. Amethska

Amethska

Jan 27, 2003
    NJ, USA
    Dude, wearing through a metal mouthpiece? Wow. I've used some mouthpieces for a couple years at a time... they're fine. I'm sure you play a *lot* more than i do, though... :D I'm lazy.

I'm sure plastic mouthpieces would have some practical use... I've never seen one, but my best guess is that the sound won't resonate. Just a hunch, though.

4. I contacted Bach (Selmer) to inquire about a mouthpiece I heard they made- a MegaTone 4G with Lexan rim. Apparently it's custom order only, which means it has a list price of almost $200 ($110 from some places) and takes at least three months to get. Looks like another standard Megatone 4G for me.

I didn't want an entirely plastic piece- that probably wouldn't have as much mass as I'd prefer, but I might pick one up to experiment since they're fairly cheap.

I play and sweat on some of my mouthpieces for most of every day during the summer. Certainly doesn't do the horns much good, either. The mouthpieces I use (of the same brand) for my bass trombone the rest of the year last for years like normal.

5. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    No, never tried a plastic one.

But, OMG@wearing the brass one through. I've had my silver-plated mouthpiece for as long as I've had my trumpet (10 years), and it's not worn through.

6. BassWizard55

BassWizard55 Guest

Dec 21, 2002
    Rome, Ga

But see, this guy is in the corps, he will be playing on it for 8+ hours a day for a whole summer.