Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Brass Position Markers!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by paintandsk8, Jan 29, 2005.

1. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    So I was trying to figure out what to use for position markers on my electric upright. I really wanted to use something i could get locally and cheaply. After thinking about it for a while and trying a few different things, It hit me.

Brass Screws!

All i did was take some solid brass screws, drove them into the side of the fingerboard, and filed the heads off. The result is a beautiful position marker, thats super cheap, super easy, and there's no waiting for glue to dry! The color of the brass really accents the rosewood board. Check it out.

Attached Files:

2. Great idea, and good job. They look nice.

I've done the same thing before on a gun stock, works really well ;)

3. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    I'd put a drop of clear nail polish on the exposed ends to prevent "greening". Or tape the edge of the fingerboard off and give it a thin coat of lacquer. Looks great, though, I really like the four spot diamond. I take it that's the 12th fret?

4. paintandsk8

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    Yeah that's the 12th fret. I am trying to figure something out to put over the top of them to prevent tarnishing, I just want to make sure whatever i use doesn't look out of place since the rest of the fingerboard is only finished with teak oil.

5. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Plain beauty!

Nail polish is an easy way to apply local protection. Once done, the brass will shine, and nobody will under stand why :D

6. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Formerly the owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    That really looks classy. Can I use your idea?

7. paintandsk8

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    I'll give the nail polish a shot. And yes bud, feel free to use my idea. But only if you use a parentetical citation ;)

8. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    that looks very nice!

:)

9. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Formerly the owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    Thanks. You got it, man. One question...was there a section of the screw that wasn't threaded where you filed off the head? Seems to me that if the screw was fully threaded all the way to the head then you'd end up with a dot that wasn't perfectly circular and flush.

10. paintandsk8

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    Yes, the screws I used had section of "shank" just below the head, that is what you see. I experimented with countersinking and leaving most of the head of the screw in, in order to have a bigger dot, but i could not good results.