1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Brass vs Stainless pickguard screws?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Phalex, Mar 5, 2008.

1. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I'm thinking of modding my '62 Precision bass. One of the things I want to do is change out the pickguard screws to try to get a more modern tone. What are the tonal differences of the different materials, and do the pick up mounting screws have any bearing on tone or not?? My brother says that the tone mostly in the screws mounting the pickguard.

Can anyone give a noob some advice?

2. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    you definitely want to check into graphite or solid gold screws. they are gonna cost you a little more, but damn if they arent worth it.

3. Dee_01

Dee_01

May 19, 2007
    Yeah, tone is all about screws.

Chrome: adds brightness
    Brass: adds sustain
    Stainless: adds carrots

4. how/why is this in a new thread all of a sudden?

5. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    i guess the secret is out is all.

6. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    check into an old asian making you some ancient chinese oak screws.

7. speedkills

speedkills

Jan 10, 2008
    California
    In order to transfer as much tone as possible from the pickguard to the body you need maximum adhesion.
    That means, as nice as solid gold screws are (and they are), you need to go screwless.

I recommend removing all the screws and using contact cement to mount the pickguard.
    You lose NONE of your tone that way.
    Even with solid gold screws there's a chance that you could lose tone through uneven torquing or stripped screws.

If you are not comfortable with contact cement, Krazy Glue will also work.

8. BillMason

BillMason Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2007
    Holy crap, ever hear of SEARCH???? There's an identical thread to this already!!! What's the matter with you people....

:D

9. speedkills

speedkills

Jan 10, 2008
    California
    You mean SEARCH, as in the "Southwestern Endangered Aridland Resource Clearing House"??

Yeah, I heard of it.

10. grace & groove

grace & groove

Nov 30, 2005
    philly
    Self-Appointed Ambassador to the Dragonfly
    Yo look at yo @#%$#@^@ idiots! it got no afect on the tone, @#%@%3.

peace <3

11. BillMason

Mar 6, 2007
    Could you please rephrase that?

12. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    I don't like the sound of any pickguard screws, but of course you need the pickguard itself or you will lose all your mid mids. I cured this problem by using studs and nuts. I sent away to Bridgeport, Connecticut, for the best 0-84 gauge studs made of virgin unobtanium. Of course, the only compatible material for the nuts is Alnico 7. Don't forget to specify 7-sided nuts so you eliminate the PPSW's (pickguard periphery standing waves).

You could use something cheaper, but it's up to you if you want your bass to sound good or not.

YMMV

13. OMFG this should be in the "pickguard screws" forum

COME ON guys...:scowl:

14. BillMason

Mar 6, 2007
    We have a winner!!! :)

15. Phalex

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    What about the pickup mounting screws?? Do they have any bearing at all?? A friend of mine swears by red duct tape to hold his PUP's in. Is red duct tape sonicley different from silver duct tape??

16. Phalex

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I posted it in the "Luthiers" forum originally, but they all threatened me with tube socks stuffed full of wood screws.

17. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    I prefer the hifi sound and clarity of solid state socks.

YMMV

18. jazzboi

jazzboi

Jan 10, 2008
    Hungary
    hey guys I can't decide is this thread serious or just a joke. :) It's hilarious. I haven't found any difference between the two kind of pickguard screws...:D the screws are only for fixing the guard in place. Period. :D Maybe somebody just got bored of doing some regular things at home and posted this thread. Am I right? :D It sounds like "Does the color of my bass affect the tone?" or something...:)

19. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    the luthiers are using wood screws!? they may be on to something here!

20. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    wait wait wait wait...DOES the color affect the tone of a bass!?

somebody call Yale!