1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bravewood guitars

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by johnpaulbass, Sep 10, 2008.

1. johnpaulbass

johnpaulbass

Nov 2, 2005
    Slovenia
  2. I spoke with John and he made this baby for me:

P-Bassfrontbody.
    Headstockpart.

I wanted him to do a 56 style P-Bass after I gave my original to a student of mine who married my cousin - he was rather pleased with the bass, although his wife (my cousin) wasn't quite as enthusiastic! hahahaha

It has been used on a number of sessions recently with Wet Wet Wet's producer, and I'll try to get some sound clips for you - the instrument just growls. It rings as clear as a bell when played - just a wonderful instrument. Fat neck that sounds so woody.

Here it is being built
    http://www.bravewoodguitars.co.uk/Building a BW.html

John also made a super woody sounding P-Bass for me. I had an original pre-CBS scratchplate from 1963 and asked if he could make an instrument based around it - here it is showing the way the plate shrunk over the years
    Plate.

3. johnpaulbass

johnpaulbass

Nov 2, 2005
    Slovenia
    wow .. they're looking exactly like vintage fenders

do they sound the same ..
    actually I'm looking for a P bass like yours ('63)

what are the prices!?

4. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:

John makes some of the best fender style basses out there.

I played one of his fretless "Jaco" style basses.

They surpass, fender custom. shop.

They are as good as the real thing ( I know, bold statement)

Best passive fender "clone" I've ever played.

If he lived in the USA, he would be huge.

5. johnpaulbass

johnpaulbass

Nov 2, 2005
    Slovenia
    I really hope to hear some soundclips...

I'm very curious

6. Mcfunkinstein

Mcfunkinstein

Jun 22, 2008
    im in love with that jazz he has there on his website the one that is the most relic'd i want it so bad GAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. allotabass

allotabass Guest

8. babaseen

babaseen The BJFE Blueberry for sale Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2001
    Boston, MA
    I'm next in line;)

Attached Files:

9. BassBod

BassBod

Aug 18, 2006
    Bristol, UK
    I've got a 60s style J and a 70s style P, both bought used. Fantastic basses, better than most of the old fenders I've played. The wood selection is great - really nice maple neck on the Pbass, and the overall wieghts of both are pretty much perfect (heavy enough to feel solid and resonant, but not actually heavy).

He knows how to make a great fender!

One thing I find strange - there are no makers marks at all, not in the neck pocket, or in the pickup holes. He takes great pride in his work, but does nothing to identify it.

10. dwh87

dwh87

Jul 31, 2007
    Cornwall
    I was told about john a couple of years ago and after looking around his site i was very impressed. Now after recently playing a beautiful 65 jazz bass i am itching for something similar at a more wallet friendly price.

Sadly john order are no longer takes orders, so every week i take a look at his site and see if he has made anything that takes my fancy.

It could be a long wait.

11. babaseen

babaseen The BJFE Blueberry for sale Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2001
    Boston, MA
    Diggin' my Bravewood...just had to chime in on how great the build quality was and the attention to detail.

THANKS JOHN!

12. Georges Abitbol

Georges Abitbol Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2005
    Paris, France
    Hi there, I know this post is getting old but... here are my Bravewood J style & P style basses.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. bh2

bh2

Jun 16, 2008
    Oxford, UK
    Cor! :bassist:

14. Is he installing Fender decals on the headstock before he ships them out?

15. Georges Abitbol

Aug 16, 2005
    Paris, France
    I quote his website:

16. So the customers are installing them?

17. Georges Abitbol

Aug 16, 2005
    Paris, France
    They can if they want to do so.

18. EddieG

EddieG

Jan 19, 2005
    Scotland
    I've got the first fretless "Jaco" Jazz that John ever made. Never leaving my possession.

Especially now its apparently worth about double what I paid for it... ;)

19. John makes absolutely gorgeous basses. I have had four Fender basses from 60s but my current Bravewood plays and sounds better than those originals. No joke here!!! The wood is really good, better than any other bass I've had so far (and I have had a lot of high end basses including US MTDs, Sadowskys, Foderas etc). You cannot go wrong with these basses!

20. Is he still building basses? From his site, it looks like he just builds when he feels like it and offers them for sale.