Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Brawley Basses, any info??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by slick519, Jan 4, 2003.

1. slick519

slick519

Aug 11, 2001
    Salem, Or
    I was at my local music store the other day, and i was suprised to see a nice neck-thru bass on the stand. It had a 3 band e.q., and a 9v active electronics w/ 2 soapbar pu's I picked ut up and started to play it, and man, was it nice. It just felt right.

Well, i certainly liked it, but i was wondering where they came from. I heard somewhere that the Brawley Basses were made in korea by Cort, and they were designed by an ex fender designer that quit do to quality of the instruments, at least that is what hte clerk told me.

I am just wondering if anyone else has played these basses, and if i can get any more info on them

thanks,
    slicks

2. BassistJ

BassistJ

Mar 20, 2001
    Hemet, CA USA
    Keith Brawley's office is the next town over from where I live (his office is in Temecula, I live in Hemet). My local store was one of the first to get his basses. Nice, nice stuff. I especially like the 35" scale on the 4 string models. Yes, he did used to work for Fender. Marketing, I think. Was convinced you could make a great bass overseas but the Fender higher-ups wanted nothing of it. So he started his own company. Nice guy. Back when my band was looking for sponserships he was the only guy that not only expressed interest but invited me up to take a tour of the office and talk shop. It's a shame the sponsership did'nt go through. One of those communication things. Anyways, damn nice stuff.

3. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
  4. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    they are made in korea

5. slick519

slick519

Aug 11, 2001
    Salem, Or
    Yeah, tht is the bass i am looking at, but how much are you selling them for??? The one I was looking at was $699 ON SALE from $1099

now dont get me wrong, i really like this bass, but for me to buy something that sings like my pilot plus that i paid 150 for, i am thinking that i am getting ripped off jsut a bit. The neck thru and the soapbar pu's are nice, and hte electronics on it are so so, but not worth 699 :rolleyes:

=Slicks=

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Where did you get the idea that they are made in the USA? This is a quote from their website.

'In summary, Brawley Guitars combines Yankee ingenuity and global capability. Our American designs are executed in Korea using maple from Canada, rosewood from India, swamp ash from Louisiana and frets from Japan made from German alloy! This is truly an international achievement that bears my name, my dream, and my passion. I hope you’ll take the time to play a Brawley guitar or bass and see how dreams can come true.”

7. If you live in the Seattle area, there's a Brawley for $450 in the Seattle Craigslist today.

I have no affiliation with the seller. I just saw the ad & became curious about Brawley. I searched TB for information & came across this thread.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/msg/1903033115.html

8. 82Daion

82Daion

Nov 14, 2006
    Holy thread resurrection.

9. I did a TB search before beginning a new topic... And that's a good thing.

10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Slick, you still thinking about a Brawley? It's only been 7 1/2 years since you opened this thread.:D

11. Paulfroelich

Paulfroelich

Dec 31, 2010
    I have a four string brawley bass guitar that I bought on eBay for 300 dollars from someone who clearly didn't know what they where selling. I really enjoy this bass. It plays amazingly, and the tone is unbelievably great. I've played it on good quality amplifiers and poor quality ones, and even on a crappy crate amp I have and it still has great tone. I would seriously recomend this bass to anyone, it is great value for your money.

12. puremusic

puremusic

Nov 1, 2009
    Saginaw, MI
    I have owned my Brawley bass about 4 yrs and it will always be a keeper for me.

13. Brawley

Brawley

Mar 3, 2011
    Hi, everybody. Keith Brawley here. This thread was forwarded to me so I could fill in the blanks for anyone who might have a question about one of their Brawley basses. I really appreciate all the kind words and support for these instruments; it was truly a labor of love and a great time in my life. Feel free to contact me at my current job if you need any information about your bass: keith.brawley@musiciansfriend.com
    Cheers!

dave79, PortlandBass77 and DocGeorge like this.
  14. Brido

Brido

Apr 11, 2011
    Ive had my Brawley since 2003. I love that bass. Much better feel and tone than anything else ive owned.

Thank you Keith for awesome guitars.

15. PityAndFear

PityAndFear

Jul 21, 2011
    I've owned a Brawley 5-string model for around 6 years, and I love it. I've only made slight modifications to it, but it would be fine for a novice-intermediate bassist straight from the store. I've gigged with it heavily (several shows a week at least) for 4 years and I've never had any problems, outside of the pick-up battery. I've also used it in the studio and the sounds you can get out of it are incredible, far more versatility than my active J-bass. I personally would recommend you get this bass over most competitors, if not for the quality, at least for the price.

16. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    You don't want to rush into things. :rolleyes:

Keith was the guy behind the late De Armond guitars and basses.

17. OB311

OB311

Nov 4, 2011
    Columbus
    I've owned a Brawley Bass for about 6 years now......it will never leave my possession. It was set up well straight from the box, great tone, I love it.

As I grew as a musician, I needed more volume, and a bit more strength on the d/g strings. I had a bone nut installed, 2 EMG pickups, the frets re-crowned, pretty much a full set-up! IT'S GREAT!

Thanks Keith!

I've seen these basses at guitar center and music go round, used for $99-$129.

Unfortunately at practice yesterday my d-string tuning peg snapped off, yeah the actual peg that the string winds around broke off from deep inside of the machine.
    Cheap fix though, just have to find the part.

18. jrusso1202

jrusso1202

Oct 18, 2012
  19. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    I've had two Brawley 5-string basses for several years (one was my main gigging bass for about a decade, the other is a back-up); great basses, especially for the money!