1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Brazilian bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by joereda, Apr 20, 2006.

1. joereda

joereda Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2003
    Atlanta
    This is a laminate bass and I certainly don't need this info. I am curious about this bass however, since no one I know of has one. The label reads (underscored where it's torn);
    ____ DE INTRUMENTOS MUSICAIS E ARTISTICOS
    Daniel Benvenuti & Jemaos
    RUA VOLUNTARIOS DA PATRIA 1902
    Sao Paulo
    Indu_____ Brasileira

I did a little internet searching and got worn out. Anyone?

Thanks,

Joe

Attached Files:

2. mje

mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    I'm wondering if perhaps that isn't an importer's label, and what you have is an early German laminate bass.

3. joereda

Sep 4, 2003
    Atlanta
    Maybe. Check out the tuners.

Attached Files:

4. joereda

Sep 4, 2003
    Atlanta
    I don't know that 1902 is the year it was built. There was a place on the label for the Data(date) to be filled in but it was left blank. I would have posted a pic of the label, but I haven't been able to get a good one. Any tips.

Joe

5. Steve Swan

Steve Swan

Oct 12, 2004
    Burlingame, California
    Retailer: Shen, Sun, older European
    Those tuners have a wacky Italian vibe to them, reminding me of some of the crazy now-collectible 1960s Italian Wandre electric guitars with their incredibly strange tuners and other parts. Is the scroll mahogany? That might also suggest a guitar connection, though I've heard of some Central American and Mexican basses that were made with mahogany. Very interesting and fun to guess about. Thanks for the photos!

Steve Swan

6. I'm guessing the first missing word would be "FABRICA" and the complete second word would be "INDUSTRIA". I'm thinking that it might actually say, "Daniel Benvenuti & Irmaos", which would translate to:

"ARTISTIC AND MUSICAL INTRUMENT FACTORY
    Daniel Benvenuti & Brothers
    1902 PATRIOT VOLUNTEERS STREET
    Sao Paulo
    Brazillian Industry"

I went to Google Brazil, and I couldn't find anything at all regarding this company. I did manage to find an ad on a Brazillian type of eBay that was selling a "Benvenuti Contra-Baixo".

http://www.balcao.com/detalle.aspx?idAnuncio=11340901&Tipo=4

I think Benvenuti went out of business...

Benvenuti is an Italian name, so if the tuners have an "Italian vibe", then it's possible that an Italian luthier emigrated to Brazil. many Itallians moved to Brazil, especially after WWII.

7. ...so, 1902 would be part of the street address.

If you can't take a pic of the serial number, maybe you can just write down what it say, and I can try to make some sense of it.

8. joereda

Sep 4, 2003
    Atlanta
    Thanks for the info. I haven't found a serial #. I believe the date on the label was in pencil and has disappeared. It's possible it says Irmaos rather than Jemaos. Its a cursive font. There is a line over the "a".

Thanks again,

Joe

9. bribass

bribass

Jan 25, 2006
    Northern NJ
    Endorsing Artist; Arnold Schnitzer/ Wil DeSola New Standard RN DB
    Try asking Paulo Gomes. http://www.paulogomes.com.br/
    He is a master luthier in San Paolo, Brazil and is a great guy. He has supplied basses to myself and many noted bassists when they perform there and is an expert on all things Brazilian bass related. His english however, is so-so. Your bass looks a little like a Brazilian instr. that I played, Sizau Machado owns it in San Paolo. It had a mahagony neck and scroll.
    good luck, BG

10. joereda

Sep 4, 2003
    Atlanta
    Thanks for the info!