Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Brazillian Drumming/Rythym

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Cambass, Aug 8, 2002.

1. I'm after some Brazillian drumming music. I have no idea if it is a category of it's own and the only example can think of is a) Some I heard in an Ayrton Senna doco and b) I heard in the car a couple of years ago.

What I've heard is intense rythym/drums with whistles and the like.

Can anyone point me to some examples?

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yes there is a category - what you are thinking of is probably the "Batucada" which is part of the Street Samba of Brazil. So for Carnaval, there will be Samba schools who compete with each other in terms of costumes,dance and their percussion skills - often involving tricks as well as highly -organised groups.

There are records of just this, but you can also find examples on records by Brazilian artists like Sergio Mendes.

3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Usually, you can find cds with the samba themes of the year (for those who don't know, every year, the Samba schools choose a theme to base their performance on and the costumes and the lyrics of the music reflect that theme). Of course, that's just for the carnival thang. There are many smaller groups (mostly from Bahia) who play that music all year long.

Sergio Mendes is a good place to start, but he's not the most percussion oriented artist you can find.

For the percussive thing, look into:

Olodum
    Ara Ketu
    Banda Reflexus da Mãe Africa (Usually just called Reflexus)

For Rio street samba, you can look into:

Bezerra da Silva
    Martinho da Vila
    Zeca Pagodinho
    Beth Carvalho
    Neguinho da Beija Flor

Those should be a good start.

4. Bruce Lindfield

I have one CD by Sergio Mendes called "Brasileiro" which has a lot of street samba percussion as well as some great tunes. I mentioned his name as I'm not sure what it's like in Australia, but in the UK, we just never see much Brazilian percussion music or CDs - they are very hard to find; whereas the more popular cross-over artists like Mendes are more common.

The "Brasileiro" album starts with 100 percussionists from Rio Samba Schools - Sergio explained how he spendt 5 months there trying to get the best players , gathered them all together in a parking lot to record with 24-track equipment!

Often, recordings I have heard of Carnaval are very muddy and indistinct - sort of like a dull roar - whereas Mendes has managed to capture the energy with a decent trecording as well.

5. Thanks for the replies, I'll look into the artists mentioned. :)

6. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Hey, Bruce. I have that cd too. It's pretty good, however, his stuff is not generally that percussion heavy. Sergio Mendes is hardly in the "Batucada" category, at least as far as the brazilian buying public is concerned, whichis my gauge anyway. It's like putting Bono and Mel Tormé on the same cd because they're both singers (Almost said Sinatra);)

7. Bruce Lindfield

I do agree - but you can get "Brasileiro" very easily from Amazon or any decent shop and the first few tracks are very good recordings of the street samba style.

So you can actually hear quite clearly what's going on - whereas I have struggled to get any Brazilian albums over here and the recordings I have heard of the Rio Carnaval have been pretty indistinct!

At Jazz Summerschool last week, there was a class on Samba School, which was run by Dave Hassel, who studies this. He got about 100 people playing street Samba in Wales!! ;)

8. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Speaking of the "muddy" sounding samba "musica carnivalesca" CDs, I just have to comment that there is absolutely nothing like hearing Brazilian percussion live. It just has to be heard live. There is a dynamic energy that surrounds the experience no recording equipment yet devised can capture.

If anyone here who is interested in Brazilian percussion has the opportunity, please don't fail to go see a live performance. Brazilian percussionists start when they are tiny tots beating on tin cans. Percussion is in their blood (just as is soccer.)

9. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Yup, Airto Moreira.

One of the premier brazilian (and world) drummer/percussionists.

10. Bruce Lindfield

Yes - not exactly the same thing, but a great player undoubtedly - I have a video where he demonstrates and explains his battery of percussion. It's amazing what he can get out of a pandeiro (tambourine)!!

Airto, is also a pretty good straight ahead Jazz and fusion drummer - he's played with everybody! He leads a band with Flora Purim which has toured the UK regularly and people expect to hear some nice percussion and maybe a bossa nova or something - whereas they actually play driving Jazz/rock fusion - very loud!! I was at a concert at Hove Town Hall a few years ago, which was great - but when I went for a drink I noticed that loads of people had headed out to the foyer as they couldn't take the volume! ;)