Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Brdge replacement question

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by jake_tim, Oct 17, 2005.

1. jake_tim

jake_tim

Jun 28, 2005
    North Carolina
    hey, i just have one quick question, when replacing a direct fit bridge, putting the new screws in the old holes woudlnt hold very well would they, saying that the old holes are alread bored out from the other screws, woudlnt this compromise the new bridges hold onto the body?

thanx in advance for the answers

-jake

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Not if they're not stripped out. Just be careful not to take out any wood when you remove the bridge. Also, if you do strip it out, you just need to use wood shavings and Elmer's glue to plug it.

3. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Indeed. Also, most new bridges come with screws, use the new ones, they aren't at all dirty or rusty and will hold in better.

4. jake_tim

jake_tim

Jun 28, 2005
    North Carolina
    thanx, i was wodnerign about those threaded metal inserts you can put into a bass body, ive seen these in a couple applications, does anyone know how you coudl do this?

-jake

5. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    I prefer to use the original screws if possible because you know that the threads presently cut into the wood are a perfect match for them. If the new screws have different threads on them, structural integrity could be compromised somewhat. But another thing to consider is how well the original screws' heads fit into the countersinks (if any) of the new bridge.