Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Break Alot of Strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by slap_happy, Jul 22, 2005.

1. Hey, I posted something like this in another thread but thought others might like to read it. I tend to break strings alot from slapping, less now but it still happens occasionally, especially G's and D's, although I broke my low B the other day. I think my bridge is a bit too sharp because that's where all the strings break but I'm not about to take a file to it. I used to just buy singles similar to the Ernie Balls that I have like D'darios but I've found something else that works. When a string breaks at the bridge, and it still has life left in it in terms of tone, I take the small end with the ball on it and unravle the winding until I can get the ball out, then I unwind about an inch and a half on the long end, do my best to reattach the ball to the core of the string as it was originally, and then wrap the twisted up core with the winding to the ball. Then I put it back on and it holds like new and I get another few weeks or even two months or so out of the string. I never cut the ends of the string down at the tuning peg when their new so there's enough length to do this twice if need be. Is it ghetto? Very. But it saves me 5 bucks every time I do it. I'm going to feel like a big idiot newb if this is something that people already do and I thought i was one of the first but I thought if no one does maybe they'd like to know it works.
    _ _
    \V/ (peace) -Jim
    INI

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I used to do this when I started playing on a guitar about 5 or 6 years ago when I was a poor teenager. But, in the last 5 years, I have never broken a string. I have never broken a string on a bass, but I do know why it happens. If you are opposed to taking a file to the bridge pieces on your bass, then let someone who knows what they are doing do it. All you need is a round or wedge shaped needle file. Rub the groove lightly where the string rests, and it will take care of it for the most part!

3. oldfclefer

oldfclefer low ended

May 5, 2005
    Southern Ohio
    Whoa, if it works, and lowers your string budget, excuse me, did you say ghetto? Sounds like great sense to me.
    Back when I was playing 5 nights, I broke a lot of strings and I used to chuck 'em. I changed strings every month no matter what, but inevitably one would break within a day or two. If I'd known what you're doing, I could have played with a full set of new strings in those cases.
    Nice save slap.