1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

break angle on Mikro bass bridge

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by screefer, Dec 16, 2017.

1. screefer

screefer

Nov 7, 2017
    The Island
    Hello,
    Does this string break angle on my Mikro look a tad low? I detect (I think) a buzz around the bridge if I pluck to heavy.
    Would a full non tapered shim be better than one at the body end of the neck pocket?
    I'm happy with the current action/setup...
    Thanks

IMG_0909.JPG

2. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    Tapered shim or partial shim would be better than a full pocket shim. Won't take much to give more of a break.

screefer likes this.
  3. screefer

screefer

Nov 7, 2017
    The Island
    thank you... do you think it needs more break to firm up the saddles or is it normal looking?

4. And the buzz is your G-string?

5. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    It's a shallower break angle than what I would like to see. if the intonation screws were parallel to the base plate rather than angling downward I would like it better. It's more of a preference than an issue though. If it were mine I would change the neck-body angle with a shim in the neck pocket.

jchrisk1 and screefer like this.
  6. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

Like Turnaround says, a little shim should fix that up.

Is it too low? If it rattles, yes it is. If it doesn’t, no it isn’t. My MIM P seems too low but I have no rattles so I’m fine with it. If it rattled I would shim it or alternatively live with action a tiny bit higher which I’d never notice in the heat of battle anyway.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
    screefer likes this.
  7. Arie X

Arie X

Oct 19, 2015
    imo, it's functional but low. on the Mikros i've reworked all of them had a small factory shim (and miscellaneous debris) in the neck pocket -usually a piece of thick tape or wood "sliver" stuck to the neck. not the best craftmanship... but it's what they were shipped with. you seem to have an earlier model going by the knobs (if you haven't upgraded them) and the saddles.

a secondary benefit of a more acute break angle is of course keeping the saddles from swimming. primary benefit though is an increased downward pressure on the saddles and a more solid connection to the bridge/bass for string energy to transmit.

that buzz may be a loose saddle height adjustment set screw. fairly common and easy to fix. just level it with the set screw adjacent to it. make sure that you are turning the set screw "in" to the bridge otherwise the backlash from the threads will make the screw loose again and it will buzz again. or you can use a mild threadlocker -your call. this in another issue a more acute break angle can correct due to the increased string pressure.

ime, the short scale of the Mikro makes paying attention to the little details a tad bit more important. all of your set up variables need a little extra care.

easy fixes if you want to.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
    screefer likes this.
  8. screefer

screefer

Nov 7, 2017
    The Island
    Thanks All,
    I will report back with results in a day or two as we've got a houseful right now. I really appreciate the great input....

9. screefer

screefer

Nov 7, 2017
    The Island
    Well I took off the neck and found a poorly placed shim of thin sandpaper. I replaced that with a piece of cardboard roughly 3-4 times thicker. I had to swap out the grub screws as they were 8 mm and 10 mm was needed to have full contact with the saddle and still be flush. Luckily, I had some from another project. They are black but match the pickups...lol. I also put a couple of drops of thin super glue in the neck holes to harden up the threads in case I have to redo.The saddles feel a lot firmer and it is buzz free, but it still looks low to my untrained eye. I wonder if they were higher if I would achieve more sustain although it does sound great. Maybe I shouldn't try to over think these top load bridges.

IMG_0095.JPG

IMG_0099.JPG

So thanks for all your help. Much appreciated....

10. screefer

screefer

Nov 7, 2017
    The Island
    I bought this new, last month. I changed the knobs to Tele domes. It is the mahogany model and weighs 6 pounds 9 ounces...

11. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

No, you won’t get more sustain by increasing break angle.

12. gip111

gip111

Nov 13, 2012
    It is low. I had a couple of Mikro basses and both needed neck shimming. Just picked up a third one today (used) with the same issue but not too bad, nothing a little shim can't fix.

13. screefer

screefer

Nov 7, 2017
    The Island
    Roger that. I just got second Mikro and put in a three piece laddered cardboard shim. The grub screws on this one are larger than the 3M screws on the white one. I'm guessing at least 5M. No more break angle worries and the grubbies are flush!! I will redo the white one...
    IMG_0125.JPG