Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Break away cords

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by playmybass, Jun 21, 2004.

1. playmybass

playmybass

Mar 28, 2004
    Tucson, Az
    Ok, so i read all these stories about a bassist and/or bandmate stepping on a cord and messing up the input jack or knocking the head to the ground. Well, has anybody thought of a break away cord? Similar to the cord on the xbox controller? It can stay together, but once it reaches a certain point the cord detaches a couple inches from the jack, and you can just go and put the two pieces back together. just a though.

2. Sounds interesting if you could make it so where you wouldn't lose any signal through the connection.

3. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I know I wouldnt want that because I might lose signal mid gig by just tugging on the cord a bit.

I feel when I run out of cable before its too late.

If its really that big a problem just go wireless.

4. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    what happens when someone steps on the side closer to the bass and it yanks the cord out anyway. I mean any way i can think of this i cant think of a way this will work well, its a good idea in theory though. Id say wireless is the way to go if your worried about it. I always put my cord through my strap before i plug it in, this usually alevieates this problem for me. Unless you horribly jar the wood in your input jack, the input jack is a cheap replace if it were to happen. I just think the idea your posing is a good one, but getting the connection to be strong and clear, your number one concern, would be the hurdle to overcome.

5. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    The old wrap the cord through the strap is a nice, easy way to aleviate worries about messing up the jack.

6. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    Instant Break away point.
    $3.99

[​IMG]

7. seems like one of those connectors that if you want to detach your chord from, you get to worry about pulling your amp to the ground with it. nice try though

8. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Interesting idea, but if the ground/shield side happens to break first, you're going to get a tremendous blast of hum! ;)

9. actually, i would know. i used to have one of those really cool fender california cables, and accidentally dropped my bass (strap malfunction). I got it before it hit the ground, but unfortunately the cable was practically lacerated