Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Break in period for Obligatos

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Mr. RC, Nov 7, 2002.

1. Mr. RC

Mr. RC

Oct 31, 2002
    New York, NY
    I recently bought some Pirastro Obligatos about three weeks ago. Prior to them I was using Helicore Hybrids. I have them on a Kay M-1. My question is how long is their break in period, if any at all? Along with teacher and even my mother, I haven't seemed to notice any difference between the two strings' sound. Is it that the Obligatos need to break in or settle down or is it that they don't respond as well to a plywood bass as to a carved?

2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    They sound pretty consistent from the get-go. They stretched for a about a day and a half, but the tone didn't change much. What don't you like about them?

3. Mr. RC

Mr. RC

Oct 31, 2002
    New York, NY
    It's not that I don't like them, it's just that I was a bit disappointed. I am definitely satisfied its just that I had high expectations for them. I played the Obligatos on my teacher's bass and they had such a warm. gut like sound. When I got them they sounded like just anither good steel string which isn't bad.

4. They (D and G) stretched for a about a week on my bass (7/8 old German plywood bass). And, the tone got more mellow and less growl in second week. However, please be noted, weather condition in my country is so difference form US, hotter but less humid. Right now, they have been on my bass about 2 months, and the tone did not change any more.

But, for E and A, I stop using them after 3 days installed. I prefer more bottom and darker sound on E and A.

Hope this help

5. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    There are a number of things perhaps at play here.

Is your teacher playing a ply bass?

Is your teacher's room sound much different than your room at home?

It sounds like you're pretty new to this -- is it possible that you teacher gets a lot more sound out of the bass -- so that his bass is much more 'awake'? (My teacher would have to borrow my old ply at times, when I was still pretty new to it all, and the thing would come back sounding great....)

How does your bass compare in tone to your teacher's? Is his a relatively dark sounding bass and yours more on the bright side, for instance.