1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

"Break-in time" for a cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ishouldbeking, Mar 4, 2008.

1. ishouldbeking

ishouldbeking

Feb 5, 2007
    Hollywood, CA
    Endorsing: SIT, Eastwood, Hanson
    I've seen the term "break-in time" thrown around referring to new cabinets, but I'm not sure what it refers to. Does it mean that a brand new cab will slowly "break in" as its played and eventually sound better (or at least different) than it does the first few times it's fired up? Or does it mean that you need to go easy on a new cab, not pushing it too hard until it's had enough time to "break-in"?

Sorry if it's a silly question, but I just got my first brand new cab (custom-built by LDS) and I prefer to err on the side of caution. Thanks!

2. gui****s do this a lot more than we do.

I bought a brand new Ampeg 610HLF and rocked it at a gig a few days later. Sounded killer. I don't think it's nessicary.

Obviously you will hear a difference comparing 30 year old speakers with brand new ones, but over the average life of a modern driver I doubt you'd hear much of a difference after any amount of 'break in' time.

3. treebranch13

treebranch13

Oct 31, 2007
    don't be pounding 800W through a 800W rate cab the first instant. work your way up... but within a day it should be fine.