1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Break in time for Fender ML9050's

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by RicPlaya, Mar 30, 2009.

1. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    The Mitten
    I know these strings take time to mellow, but how long? I know it must depend on how much one plays. Point being I really love the tone, they are just starting to get a little thump. But my hands are sure feeling it. The tips of my pinky and ring finger on my fretting hand hurt after a while from having to push a little harder to intonate the notes. Also my playing hand seems to ache a little as well.

I have been thinking about the vasaline trick, but I don't think it will break in the strings, just take the zing out a little.

Anyway I'm toughing it out and hoping these babies break in soon, the tone is there but my hands are paying the price. Do these string soften up after a while?

2. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    They won't soften up noticeably, IME.

You can try getting lower action with them, if that helps. You can go surprisingly low with flats without any or much fret buzz.

3. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    The Mitten
    The action is low'

Tone is great, playability is OK, a little bridge cablesque, but they seem to be breaking in a little. Only had em on for a 2 weeks so far. I think I should give them a month before throwing in the towel.

4. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    The Mitten
    Allright .....thinking about putting Labella FL's on

I need to know should I wait it out with the Fenders? It's been a couple weeks..will these strings start to break in? My hands are getting a little sore. I dig the tone..I am torn. If these strings start to break in and get a little looser I think they will be perfect! But will it happen? And how long?

5. Luckydog

Luckydog

Dec 25, 1999
    I dont know where you heard that they will get looser...sure hasn't been my experience with any strings. You'll get stronger, and that may make them seem looser but they should maintain the same tension IMO

6. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I agree with the others, I don't think they ever get looser, at least not enough to be noticeable. Your fingers will toughen up.

I have only played the 9050M, they where definitely very high tension. Don't know how the 9050ML would compare with the 760FL.

7. dubstylee

dubstylee

Feb 9, 2007
    I think 9050's sound awesome. I've used GHS precision flats, D'addario Chromes, and Fender 9050's Mediums. I like the chromes and the 9050's best. I'm not quite sure which one I like better. . . hmh. Well, anyways, I think you should wait it out a little longer; they sound really good after a month, and they get really thumpy, deeper lows than what you would get with chromes.

8. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    The Mitten
    The E and A are starting to break in

The tone is nice...still waiting for thr thump. I'll give em a few months, thanks for your input. I'll check in with an update.

9. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    Put a soft sponge under the strings right up by the bridge--instant thump.

It takes a long time for the 9050s to fully break in. It also depends on the bass.

10. precision punk

precision punk

Mar 15, 2009
    the exact string and gauge are also killing my fingers...hopefully chromes have less tension

11. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    If my, admittedly bad, memory serves me correctly, the 9050M is higher tension than the regular (orange) chromes. The Labella 760FL are lower tension still. But still higher than most (all?) rounds.

12. troyus

troyus

Apr 9, 2008
    San Diego, CA.
    Just to be a trouble maker on the thread... I recently put a new set of 9050's on my jazz bass and they have more tension than the 2 year old set I have on my P-bass. No foolin!

So.... maybe it takes a year or two. :)

13. I'd just like to say that I absolutely love 9050's. They are in my opinion the most flatwoundy flatwounds around. If you want to go all-out classic thump, these are the strings.

14. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    The Mitten
    I am thinking break in time will be about a year. These strings are made to last!

15. elBandito

elBandito

Dec 3, 2008
    Rotten Apple
    :eek: People around here don't even keep their basses for that long.