Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Breakage

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by 6-stringer, Mar 4, 2002.

1. 6-stringer

6-stringer Guest

Feb 5, 2000
    Roanoke,VA
    I break more strings than any bassist I have ever met. One every week or two. It's not a prob. with the setup. Apparently I've got some pretty corosive sweat. I've been using d'addario XLs'. They seem to last a little longer than most. I was wondering if anyone has used those coated roundwounds? I can't think of the company that makes them. How do they stack up tonewise?

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Your answers to a couple of questions could help;

- is it always the same couple of strings breaking or is the breakage problem with all six???

- do they always seem to break around the same location on the strings or do they just seem to break at random locations, e.g., sometimes near the bridge and sometimes nearer the nut???

3. MatW

MatW

May 10, 2000
    UK, Swindon
    6-stringer, I too have experienced annoying breakage recently. I've got through two sets of strings in the past two weeks. In my case it's always the 'G' string and it breaks just past the bridge. I've been playing a LOT more slap recently, but I'm sure that my popping action isn't excessive, but I'm getting scared to slap too enthusiastically and that's cramping my style. I certainly can't afford to pay 18 pounds every week.

I play a US Fender Jazz Dlx, which has the strings coming up through the body, I wonder if this has anything to do with it?

Anyway, I'm probably going to buy a new bass exclusively for slap in the next few months. In the meantime, though, has anyone got suggestions?

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Mat - You're experiencing some of the symptoms I was asking about. Your problem includes, but isn't limited to, 3 common causes;

1. Since it's just your G, take off that string and closely inspect the saddle, looking for burrs or sharp edges. These act like knives on a string.

Whether to try and eliminate the burr(s) or take it to a tech is your call.

2. Strings-through-body have this problem more commonly because the break angle of the strings is more severe. This is supposed to be a plus with strings-through, but if the angle is too severe, some string(s) can't handle it.

If you're comfortable doing your own setups, try adjusting the neck and bridge so the angle isn't so steep

3. Your popping technique simply beats the hell out of your G. I'm pretty bad about this too, but mine don't break.

Some string companies let you order custom sets, so you could try a heavier G.

5. 6-stringer

6-stringer Guest

Feb 5, 2000
    Roanoke,VA
    It's usually the G and D that break first. Allthogh, I have been known to pop an A or E (a B string once). They always break right above my bridge pup. Most of the time, where I pluck. I know it's not a problem with my bridge or a bad fret job b/c i've had a good tech check it over. I have always had to use a light oil to prevent corosion on my saddles and bridge. Nasty acidic sweat. Yuck. Probably from my spicy vegitarian diet.

6. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I know that the new "Nano-Web" Elixers have a super thin coating that is not noticable in feel or visually. They aren't cheap, but they are recommended to those of us who have a very acidic sweat(fortunately I don't:D). I have a friend who used to go through strings every couple of days. Elixers tend to last him several weeks. Just a thought :)