Breakaway cables like SnapJack?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bdplaid, Nov 6, 2016.

Tags:
  1. bdplaid

bdplaid Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2007
    Hiya,
    I'm wondering if anyone knows of a breakaway cable jack currently available? A few years ago the SnapJack was available, a magnetic affair, but I didn't buy one. Turns out I am having tripping issues onstage (have fallen once this year due to cable-ankle entanglements), and am wondering if anything else is out there. A google search yielded nothing.

I already have wireless, but I find it a big PITA and prefer a cable.

thanks.

2. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
  3. bdplaid

Aug 31, 2007
    Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't think so. Imagine the situation: a cable snaked around my ankle (I am a magnet for such), and I walk across the stage, the cable pulls back... Using an inline, it's too much resistance.

I have both balance and leg strength issues, meaning something as simple as this causes a situation from which I can't recover. As I said, I have a wireless Shure which works great, but I prefer a cable.
    Thanks!

4. bdplaid

Aug 31, 2007
    If I could find a proper inline shell, I'd try making something like a magnetic inline connector using small magnets - all they have to do is touch, as they conduct electricity. It's an interesting prospect. Hmmm...

5. It's been so long since I've used a cable I'd probably kill myself if I plugged one in again.

I have a wireless shure system, the glxd that uses a rechargeable battery, so it costs nothing to run. Easy to set up and run as well. It's worth the extra 30 seconds to run in my opinion.

Another thought might be a "curly cord" that was so popular in the 70's. Run one of those so that you don't get hung up. Honestly the wireless is your best option for safety though.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021