Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Breakdowns!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Albini_Fan, Jun 15, 2003.

1. Albini_Fan

Albini_Fan Banned

Jan 26, 2003
    Beneath Below
    This is a thread for us hardcore kids ;o I was inspired by the banter in the Catchy Song thread.
    So, what's your favorite breakdown in a song? Right now mine is the one in Shockwave - Kickback

2. hopes fall- "open hands to the wind"

i might not know the proper definition of "breakdown"... 'cause i'm dumb.

3. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    "Daddy" by Korn ;) ;) :rolleyes:

Oh, come on! :D

4. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    RHCP- Breaking the Girl
    Our Lady Peace- The Consequence of Laughing
    Phish- Free
    Jamiroquai- Virtual Insanity

So many others... but those came on the stereo not too long ago. I think a couple of those could be construed as bridges... what do you guys think is the difference between a bridge and a breakdown?

5. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    Tourniquet Girl by With Dead Hands Rising
    Someones Standing On My chest by Atreyu
    Yes Donny thouse Men are Nihalists by Evergreen Terrace
    This one is on the lighter side of a breakdown but
    From the Frimament by Saetia!!!

6. What do you mean by breakdown?

8. Albini_Fan

Albini_Fan Banned

Jan 26, 2003
    Beneath Below
    A breakdown is a hardcore music thing, they're usually instrumental bridges that are full of chugga-chugga geetar goodness. It's usually the heaviest part of the song, they're pretty catchy and make you want to thrash around.

If that makes sense :confused:

Some good examples

Evergreen Terrace - Tevis sucks
    Shockwave - Kickback

9. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Isn't it when a lot of the band stop playing (i.e. breaking down the groove) and then build it up again gradually. For instance, Lep Zeppelin - The Lemon Song or James Brown - Cold Sweat?

Alex

10. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    Break downs are in basically every kind of music, like in techno when the bass starts hitting really hard and builds up, and then its chaos. Or in classic rock when it starts out all slow, and then it builds and builds until it releases back into the song. Speed metal usually has fast crazy instramental parts that they call break downs. A hardcore breakdown is like where the guitars are doing palm mutes, chugga chugg chugg as Albini_Fan stated and it usually uses silence to its advantage creating a rhythmic chaos, makes you want to dance, kick your legs, punch, windmill, ground punch, or old school stomp style haha.

11. mmm....mine might have to be Hopesfall - end or an era