Breakin' up sucks

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Intune, Jul 17, 2005.

1. Our all original band broke up last night & I feel like crap. Without going into detail I'll say one word... Ego. We suffered through the "Yoko" syndrome. Keys/singer gets together with us with some songs where one can hear the basic potential of songs & we develop them into viable tunes and everything is motoring along & then keys gets a new girl who fills his head with visions of grandeur. Visions, I should add, that we already had for the band, but she's saying that he is the ....... caca, (ahem) lol and that we should be paid as backup. These songs weren't squat when he brought them & we added 4-6 tunes as a band. Arrangement, vox, bass parts, breaks, etc. The pisser is that it still hurts to let go. I should have known three months ago when he ripped us off for $300 after a gig that I booked, but we let it slide. Our bad. I HAVE to be able to leave my wallet on the bus bunk (under) without worrying about my bandmates. Now I/we gotta start from scratch. Might have to do covers :crying: Don't expect any answers from you guys, just sharing the misery amongst brothers. Calling venues & canceling was not fun. :scowl:
  2. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Just stuff it to the keys, and move on as a whole. If everyone else works together good, replacing one person wont be as hard as getting an entire band together from scratch...

3. I hear ya Ray. This was a mass exodus, git, drums & I. But it still has that bummer of a feeling like breaking up with a chick. Ya know what I mean? There was so much potential.
  4. Corbis

Corbis Guest

Feb 19, 2003
    Wamego KS
    How did he rip $300 off? Sounds like this guy was no good to begin with.....
  5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Been there dude. It will happen again. If you're still young, you have your music career ahead of you, and plenty more people full of themselves.

By the can go into detail about it.

6. RLT

Jul 10, 2004
    South Central OH
    Details we want the gory details!!!

To be serious Mikes got it right. It's happened to about all of us and it will happen again.
  7. If there's one bad apple in the tree, you don't cut it down do you? Just drop the guy. It's a shame to let a whole band that has potential go to waste because of one bad guy. You can't expect to get all the right people at once.

Contact your old band members and see who wants to go on being in a band with you. I mean, my band members were total strangers when I started playing, but you form a kind of band that goes deep if you're truly into the music/band thing. You've nothing to lose (anymore...).
  8. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Honestly, you're not far off...

Ending ANY kind of relationship that you have put a significant amount of emotional, physical, and financial commitment is going to have a grieving process.

As everyone else has said, the rest of you should get back together and replace the keyboard player. Sounds like the rest of you don't have a problem with each other.

Don't call it the "Yoko syndrome".. call it the "David Lee Roth Syndrome". :D
  9. daofktr

daofktr irritating, yet surly

Feb 15, 2005
    aurora, IN
    i can't stand sig others that interfere with a band!
    :spit: :scowl: :mad: :rollno:
    they should gagged, bound, tarred and feathered.
    then keelhauled.
    ...then ridiculed for their taste in clothes.