Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Breaking a bad habit

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Vorago, Dec 13, 2005.

1. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Somehow, I've developed the bad habbit to eat some sandwishes/bread right before I go to bed. I know this is a bad habbit, since it keeps your stomache from resting, and the calories that you take in aren't burned, but stocked away as fat. In the light of my attempt to get in shape I know I have to break with this habbit. Now, what is the best way to do this? Stop with it today, or gradually build it off, replacing the bread by fruit, and deal with it over a couple of weeks.

Thoughts?

2. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    Would I be on Talk Bass 17 hours a day if I knew how to break bad habits???

Try drinking excessivley until you pass out with out eating first... :)

3. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    A good start would be to replace it with something better for you - apple, pear, something like that.

Drinking water also gives you a "full" feeling. Quite often when you feel hungry you are really thirsty.

4. +1 on the thirst factor,

im not really sure where i heard this, but i have heard in the past that if you can do something for 30 days (im sure its not exact), that it becomes habbit.......thus, im sure the opposite is true, breaking a habbit is simply replacing it with an opposite habbit......could give it a shot, try a tall glass of water and/or an apple etc before bed for about a week, if that seems to help, then start to get away form the apples, and so on

5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I was told it was 18 days. Perhaps we can meet in the middle....24? :D

-Mike

6. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Cold Turkey all the way, well not literally in this case. ;) :D

7. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium

Yeah, but then I have to pee :meh:

8. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    I do that sometimes too, and im trying to get in better shape, so im drinking more water, replacing a sandwich with maybe fruit, cheese and crackers or something, and am not having it right before bed, but am instead doing pushups and situps afterwards and then playing bass for a while. just means im more tired.

On a side note, is it just as bad to eat and then sit down to practice for an hour? whats the time frame?

9. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I guess I don't quite understand. How about just not eating it before bed? Worked for me when I was losing weight.

10. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Yeah I know, but I really don't feel confortable with having to sleep with an empty stomache.

11. to some people its just a comfort thing, you cant get settled on an empty stomache, if thats the case, then do what everyone said, water, fruit, etc.

12. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    I hear you. Nothing more contenting than a belly full of comfort food, high in fat and protein, that makes you sleepy.

Water and fruit won't hit that spot. How about fat free chocolate pudding or creamy yogurt? Scoop of low fat Peanut Butter?

Other than that, Cheezwiz is right... :(

13. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    The worst habit I've seen in this thread is several people spelling "habit" using TWO B's. Now that's a habit . . . ;)

Be sure to brush your teeth afterwards if you eat fruit - most have natural sugars, are sticky, and acidic, which spells ruin for your teeth.

My wife's a dentist, she harps on me all the time about such things . . .

14. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    :p
    Try not buying any food, or not being able to afford it. This works for me, most of the time...

:ninja:

15. It may be my cold meds, but I thought this thread said "Breaking a Bad Hobbit". Anyways, how long is appropriate to wait after eating before sleeping? I've heard you shouldn't eat less than 2 hours before you go to sleep, or you won't burn the calories at all.

16. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Start sucking your thumb...works for me.

:smug:

Mike

17. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    I'm hearing you :D but I'm trying to get in shape/los weight here, and I'm pretty sure that the food you're eating before you go to sleep is stocked as fat.
    I'll steadily replace the apples with bread, maybe some yoghurt, last night I felt hungry but I didn't eat and fell asleep. :smug:

18. alibloke

alibloke

Dec 17, 2004
    Bristol, England
    Sandwich replacement gum?

19. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    You gotta wait thirty minutes after you eat before you swim, or you'll get cramps and drown.