Breaking a brand new bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bman, Mar 20, 2004.

1. bman

Dec 4, 2000
    Sandown, N.H., USA
    Have you ever brought home a brand new bass - and then promptly done something stupid to screw it up?

I ordered a Turser Beatle bass copy and it arrived Tuesday. I proceeded to have a lot of fun with that short scale beater.
    Yesterday (Friday) I got home from work, plugged it in, and being lazy I did not loop the cord through the end of my strap.
    I was sitting down playing. I stood up to do something, and my foot was on the cord. As I stood up it was ripped rather roughly out of the jack.
    I look at the jack, and the screws - two teensy tiny screws (I realize it's a cheap bass) - are forcibly backed out of the body of the bass about a quarter of an inch.
    I'm an idiot. :rolleyes:

It still works OK, but I'll take it in to have it fixed up.
    I'm still ripped at my own stupidity.

Here it is, pre-screw up:
  2. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Did the wood shred? If not, you can probably unscrew the screws, and dab a little Elmer's glue into the holes, then put the screws back in, and let it dry for a few hours. Elmer's is remarkably strong, it'll hold as long as you don't yank it out again. If you want something "really" strong, try Gorilla Glue, it should be available at your local hardware store. Use it very sparingly, or you'll never be able to get the screws out again.
  3. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I've done this a few times myself,- it happens to a lot of people, so don't "fret" ;).

A really simplea nd good fix is to take a toothpick and dip it in wood glue (or elemers if that's all you got) and shove it in the hole, and then screw the screw back in. That's basically the same thing they are going to do if you have it "professionaly" repaired at most guitar stores anyway.
  4. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    the toothpick idea is a good one.

i've used that technique on many a "ripped screw".

that looks like a fun bass!!!!

5. Wolfehollow

Jan 21, 2003
    Pensacola, FL
    My first "real" bass purchase was a fortress one masterman.

I was leaning down to pick it up out of the case for the first time and my asthma inhaler fell out of my shirt pocket leaving a nice little mark on the front of the bass... I hadnt even touched it yet.

It was a very good bass though.
  6. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    tiny little mark yes. nothing big really, i used to care about it but there nothing now. i droped a patch cord on it, it dove strait down and the point hit it, go figure. then i bumped a shelving unit above my bass and my nail trimmers fell on it, that pissed me off. now i keep nothing pointy or hard around my bass.

all the dings are about smaller then an oatmeal grain so i shouldnt be complaioning hehe :p
  7. bman

Dec 4, 2000
    Sandown, N.H., USA
    The wood didn't shred. They're very small screws, so I'm sure the glue/toothpick fix will make it good as new again.
    In fact, I used that fix on my Peavy B-Quad when the strap screw finall pulled loose. (That's a fairly heavy bass.)
    Thanks for the advice!
  8. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    or pre-screw-out? :eek: ;)

If the body is intact, you shouldnt worry that muck about it